• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A happy birder @ the Hoge Veluwe (1 Viewer)

An afternoon off work to go birding is always nice.
So when the opportunity presented itself I didn’t hesitate and went to a nature reserve close by. The Hoge Veluwe is an area with forest and heath lands. There is lots of wildlife, including wild boar and deer. Birds too, raptors like the Hen Harrier and Buzzards, as well as lots of songbirds.

As it turned out that day was not a good birding day, and the bigger creatures were in hiding... Not a deer in sight, evidence of wild boar everywhere – they turn up the soil looking for food – but none to be seen.

But what a stunning landscape!! I have been here before, but that’s 15 years ago and then to go to the museum located in the park. I was very impressed by the variety of the scenery. This is a place for landscape pics! Pity it was late in the day, the light was fading fast and after 4 o’clock it was to dark for birds or other wildlife.

On subsequent visits (I bought a year subscription to the park) we saw Great Spotted Woodpecker, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Buzzard, Kestrel, Nuthatch, all sorts of finches, Crested Tits, Red Crossbills, lots of deer and a tame fox.

When you come to Holland try to visit here, it’s worth it!
For more info visit www.hogeveluwe.nl

I spent a weeks holiday in the Hoge Veluwe in July 2006. Saw Jay, Gt Spotted Woodpecker, Willow Tit, Deer and even a short glimpse of a Wild Boar. It was during the heatwave so a trip to Oostvardenplassen was fruitless. I'd love to go back in the winter or spring. Great place.

Regards,

Richard Smith

Yes, superb place. I spent a day there a few years back. Some good birds (eg. Firecrest & Golden Oriole, if I remember rightly), but best of all was a herd of boars including young piglets which passed very close by as I sat in a beechwood. Must have been easy to get to by public transport too. Not so appealing were the abundant ticks, of the parasitic variety(!) - just like home.

Cheers,
Hugh.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back