• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Hawk-Eagle? A Honeyguide? A Warbler? (1 Viewer)

JSmolders

Just digging through some photos from earlier in the year and realized I had some unIDed potential new birds:

• Photo 1: January 2018, Gambella, Ethiopia
  • At first I assumed this was a Black Kite, but on second look I realized the gape and beak were totally wrong. Is this possibly an immature African Hawk-Eagle or Ayres Hawk-Eagle?
  • Photo 2: January 2018, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
  • Possibly an immature Wahlberg's Honeyguide or Lesser Honeyguide? At first I thought it was an immature Common Bulbul, but I'm not sure about the beak shape and there appears to be a developing lores patch and malar stripe?
  • Photo 3: January 2018, Gambella, Ethiopa
  • This looked at first like a Foxy Cisticola , but then I realized the tail tip was wrong. Could it be a Red-faced Cisticola (overall too rufous?), or maybe a Red-winged Warbler (not enough wing-back contrast?)?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Attachments

• raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 55
  • honeyguide1.JPG
    honeyguide1.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Warbler.jpg
    Warbler.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Some things to note about the honeyguide/bulbul:
  • Grasping with two-toes in front. I believe the bulbul has three front toes? The honeyguide only has two.
  • The beak and gape and or eye-position don't look like a bulbul's.
  • Tail does not appear to be straight across like a honeyguide's.

On second thought it looks more like an immature Wahlberg's H oneyguide than a Lesser.

• Photo 2: January 2018, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
  • Possibly an immature Wahlberg's Honeyguide or Lesser Honeyguide? At first I thought it was an immature Common Bulbul, but I'm not sure about the beak shape and there appears to be a developing lores patch and malar stripe?
  • Photo 3: January 2018, Gambella, Ethiopa
  • This looked at first like a Foxy Cisticola , but then I realized the tail tip was wrong. Could it be a Red-faced Cisticola (overall too rufous?), or maybe a Red-winged Warbler (not enough wing-back contrast?)?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

2. white in tail looks good for Honeyguide, Lesser has much stubbier bill, looks good for Wahlberg's
3. looks good for Red-faced if it wasn't for that yellow eye

So wait for experts on LBJ

The raptor is a very nice Grasshopper Buzzard!

That makes sense since I saw him in the area with a bunch of other grasshopper buzzards. The others just looked a lot more grey. Trick of the light in this photo.

The throat line is hard to see in the photo I got.

Thanks Tom!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back