• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Meopta Meostar 8x32 B1.1 with a Serial number starting with 160xxx ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
After my short remarks on the For Sale Section here on a particular binocular being sold, now has us wondering about our B1.1 8x32 Meostar. First off our history with Meopta binoculars. We owned the 6.5x32 Meopro, owned two versions of the Cabelas Meostar HD 8x32 version, handled/ looked thru the B1 8x32 Meostar briefly, Purchased the B1 Plus 8x32 Meostar while owning the Meostar B1.1 8x32 that we still own. We sent the B1 plus Meostar back after one day because we could not see any significant Optical difference with the B1 Plus over our B1.1 that we still have and we chalked that up to having a Cherry Specimen in the B1.1 Having said all this, my intent with this topic is not to persuade anyone one way or another on which of the Meostar’s in the 8x32 versions is the better to buy.
My question is how many forum members here have a B1.1 8x32 starting with the first two digits being 16. I have followed the x32 Meostar’s for years here on this forum and if my memory serves me the B1.1 version serial number should not be starting with 16, ours has a first three digit of 160. If I am wrong , someone can correct me. We purchased ours in 2021 New from SportOptics, label on box indicate B1.1, the Binocular has the update diopter and the transferable lifetime warranty registration officially indicating it’s Authenticity. A member here who has probably the most experience directly interacting with Meopta has suggested my particular binocular was probably a late B1 that was later upgraded to the B1.1 I am now wondering if Meopta also upgraded the glass to HD as the same glass they advertised they did to the Cabelas version. I just assumed our pair was a Cherry specimen and that’s the reason I thought the B1 Plus we had for a day was a tad less sharp. Maybe it was not just our eyes, but the way Meopta sources it’s materials and what they have on hand to finish the build of a particular order. Our Meostar B1.1 with serial number starting with 16 …… any thoughts ?

Attachments

• 3C2AC428-66D9-495E-8329-40FF1DDF68B5.jpeg
    3C2AC428-66D9-495E-8329-40FF1DDF68B5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Well I am not really sure of when the B1.1 was introduced, Lee likely knows this, but I have a B1 8X42 from 2018 so the B1.1 must have been produced later than 2018. That is all I can offer on this.

My Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 (supposedly the equivalent of Meostar B1.1) has a serial number start with 17. I purchased it brand new in Nov 2020.

I am not near my Meostar B1.1 as it is across country but will check on the serial number in a month when I return. But I purchased mine during the height of COVID,...I suppose around May of 2019. Will check on the serial number but I have a 'good one'.... jim

My Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 (supposedly the equivalent of Meostar B1.1) has a serial number start with 17. I purchased it brand new in Nov 2020.
In 2021 we also had a Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 that had the B1.1 diopter up grade for a short while. It also had a serial number starting with the number 17. We returned it due to some focusing issues.

I am not near my Meostar B1.1 as it is across country but will check on the serial number in a month when I return. But I purchased mine during the height of COVID,...I suppose around May of 2019. Will check on the serial number but I have a 'good one'.... jim
Thanks. We have a good one also. Our New purchase of our Meostar B1.1 8x32 in 2021 having the starting serial number of 16 is a really good specimen. We want to find a 10x32 Meostar to replace it but are hesitant to sell ours because we are afraid of not getting one as good as the 8x we currently have.

Thanks. We have a good one also. Our New purchase of our Meostar B1.1 8x32 in 2021 having the starting serial number of 16 is a really good specimen. We want to find a 10x32 Meostar to replace it but are hesitant to sell ours because we are afraid of not getting one as good as the 8x we currently have.
Awhile back when we tried to sell it here, we could not even get $500 for it. I am kind of glad it did not sell now, especially considering that it still looks/ functions as new.

Attachments

• F3BDE457-7631-495B-865E-02FFEF426726.jpeg
    F3BDE457-7631-495B-865E-02FFEF426726.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
It is a crap-shoot getting a Meostar that has no issues with the focus wheel being stiff, chunky/ clunky etc... Not sure what to call it. But I went thru a few which I sent back before I found a good pair. That is why I am so hesitant about buying any used B1.1 I find here or on Ebay, since the odds are the focus wheel isn't smooth. Not sure if they fixed that issue with the B1.1 Plus or not. I haven't tried any, jim

It is a crap-shoot getting a Meostar that has no issues with the focus wheel being stiff, chunky/ clunky etc... Not sure what to call it. But I went thru a few which I sent back before I found a good pair. That is why I am so hesitant about buying any used B1.1 I find here or on Ebay, since the odds are the focus wheel isn't smooth. Not sure if they fixed that issue with the B1.1 Plus or not. I haven't tried any, jim
My Meostar 10x42 HD's focusser is possibly the best I have experienced on ANY binocular. Better than my CL's focusser.

I am one of those who has been unlucky in the Meopta 8x32 lottery. Before I figured out the ”snag” with the recent ones.

I don’t generally miss my old binoculars much but the B1.1 8x32 Gcole displays here is one of the gems - if you have a good specimen. :) If the SFL 8x30 does not pan out I am thinking of calling up the guy who got my copy (perhaps not perfect, but very very good) and ask if he wants to sell it back. The dotted armour looks and feels great. And it works well with glasses. For me the Meopta 8x32 is something like the Nikon MHG - great binoculars, only lacking just a little when compared to the very best.

I have seen the odd 10x32 advertised in Europe, one was black and looked great. I think, from the construction and size and possibly shared parts that the issues with the focuser would be the same between the 8x and the 10x so I am very hesitant in sourcing one up again. I have been contemplating having a bino permanently in the car and the 8x32 is the best ”spare bino” I have had, considering the sum of all parts.

I am one of those who has been unlucky in the Meopta 8x32 lottery. Before I figured out the ”snag” with the recent ones.

I don’t generally miss my old binoculars much but the B1.1 8x32 Gcole displays here is one of the gems - if you have a good specimen. :) If the SFL 8x30 does not pan out I am thinking of calling up the guy who got my copy (perhaps not perfect, but very very good) and ask if he wants to sell it back. The dotted armour looks and feels great. And it works well with glasses. For me the Meopta 8x32 is something like the Nikon MHG - great binoculars, only lacking just a little when compared to the very best.

I have seen the odd 10x32 advertised in Europe, one was black and looked great. I think, from the construction and size and possibly shared parts that the issues with the focuser would be the same between the 8x and the 10x so I am very hesitant in sourcing one up again. I have been contemplating having a bino permanently in the car and the 8x32 is the best ”spare bino” I have had, considering the sum of all parts.
I am sorry your luck has not been so good regarding Meopta Meostar 8x32. Since the first day we looked thru our B1.1 8x32 binoculars we knew they were special. I have mentioned that I feel ours are Cherry but what does that actually mean ?. Is it just because my facial features fit my Meostar’s perfectly while using them with or without my glasses, that allows me to get the best possible view optically and that I find the focuser, the hinge tension and the way the eye cups twist up on my Meostar just to my liking. Add that all up with receiving a pair that I feel that is flawless in its physical construction. Everything I just said is subjective …. my opinion,my tastes. I mentioned earlier that I thought these were special, I did not know how special til I had time to compare these to the Zeiss FL T 10x32 we just purchased. I think Optically, my Meostar is just as sharp and clear as the Zeiss. Both are like looking out a window with no glass even though you know the glass is there. Here is a photo of my recent Zeiss purchase and the Meostar we acquired new in 2020.

Attachments

• 33C54D3C-D4DF-4068-BCC5-EA0A75BFF825.jpeg
    33C54D3C-D4DF-4068-BCC5-EA0A75BFF825.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
I am sorry your luck has not been so good regarding Meopta Meostar 8x32. Since the first day we looked thru our B1.1 8x32 binoculars we knew they were special. I have mentioned that I feel ours are Cherry but what does that actually mean ?. Is it just because my facial features fit my Meostar’s perfectly while using them with or without my glasses, that allows me to get the best possible view optically and that I find the focuser, the hinge tension and the way the eye cups twist up on my Meostar just to my liking. Add that all up with receiving a pair that I feel that is flawless in its physical construction. Everything I just said is subjective …. my opinion,my tastes. I mentioned earlier that I thought these were special, I did not know how special til I had time to compare these to the Zeiss FL T 10x32 we just purchased. I think Optically, my Meostar is just as sharp and clear as the Zeiss. Both are like looking out a window with no glass even though you know the glass is there. Here is a photo of my recent Zeiss purchase and the Meostar we acquired new in 2020.
There was a period last year when we thought of getting a pair of Meopta Meostar 10x32 . Sell the 8x Meostar’s, use the funds towards them but we could not find a pair of the 10x Meostar’s in our price range to our liking. We even tried to sell our Meostars here to fund getting a pair of Zeiss FL T x32’s, no one wanted them even when lowering the price to under $500. Now I am glad they did not sell.

Funny, I used to have the 10x32FL many years ago. They ended up with a friend - and I looked through them a few weeks back. They are fantastic. His left eye cup was stuck in the up position and had been so for a few years (!) I screwed it out completely and reattached it - fixed in two minutes 😁. He was very happy about that since he just got glasses this year.

My 8x32FL and my Meopta 8x32 B1.1 ended up being sold to one guy who I think still has them.

These two are the two bins I regret selling. I should have kept them until I got the SFL 8x40 instead of going through the top tier current alternatives. Mostly I regret not keeping the Meopta as the Zeiss FL did not work with my glasses. But, at the time I was having too many binos and still no favourite. 😑

You should hang on to that Meopta. Beautiful little companion. 👍

I just don't get the lack of love for Meopta especially on this forum. On Ebay i get it, as lots of non optic folk have never heard of Meopta.
But the company has serious heritage, and I believe supplies glass to some of the big players.
Here we have someone saying they are the equal of the Zeiss FL's, but still no one will take them, along with their 30year warranty!!!
Meopta Meostar views are up there with the best, but the 2nd hand market just does not reflect this.
Mine are perfect in every way, including that focusser, but just don't have the kudos of Leica, Zeiss etc.
Go figure

I just don't get the lack of love for Meopta especially on this forum. On Ebay i get it, as lots of non optic folk have never heard of Meopta.
But the company has serious heritage, and I believe supplies glass to some of the big players.
Here we have someone saying they are the equal of the Zeiss FL's, but still no one will take them, along with their 30year warranty!!!
Meopta Meostar views are up there with the best, but the 2nd hand market just does not reflect this.
Mine are perfect in every way, including that focusser, but just don't have the kudos of Leica, Zeiss etc.
Go figure
couldnt agree more! got my meostar 8x42 on ebay for £380 which i offered as they were £400 but had been on and off ebay for a while

took the chance knowing the companies heritage and your not making optics since 1933 if they are not good

i just love them the feel weight just stunning optics in 40 plus years of birding ive never seen another person with meopta optics so i do feel proud going birding with them

an ebay bargain at its best

I strongly recommend Meopta whenever I get the chance.
For me they did in the long run happen to become the ”inbetweeners” and despite the 12x50HD being the optically best bino I have peered through I did go with the Swarovski NL Pure 12x42 for more ergonomic reasons. I wish I could ”afford” having kept the Meopta for monopod use but it would mean I would use the Swarovski less. For plane spotting and BIF the Meopta is still the champ in my book.

My former compact 10x42HD is with a friend who enjoys it very much. If I was in the market for a 10x ever again this is the one for me - for sure!

Seems B2 series is not happening for a while and it also seems Meopta is being sold eventually so the future is a bit uncertain. :)

I strongly recommend Meopta whenever I get the chance.
For me they did in the long run happen to become the ”inbetweeners” and despite the 12x50HD being the optically best bino I have peered through I did go with the Swarovski NL Pure 12x42 for more ergonomic reasons. I wish I could ”afford” having kept the Meopta for monopod use but it would mean I would use the Swarovski less. For plane spotting and BIF the Meopta is still the champ in my book.

My former compact 10x42HD is with a friend who enjoys it very much. If I was in the market for a 10x ever again this is the one for me - for sure!

Seems B2 series is not happening for a while and it also seems Meopta is being sold eventually so the future is a bit uncertain. :)
If I decide to move mine on I will give you a shout. They are mint.
I was thinking of finally doing the Habicht thing.... but can't bring myself to part with the Meoptas at the moment, and can't justify another pair of 10's.
We will see.

To. me....'mint' in the Meostar 8x32 rests upon the focus wheel.... some of them are clunkier than others. When I bought mine thru Sports Optics in LA, I had them check a few of their stock to find the best one. An outfit like that, is more than willing to do so, which they did.... which allowed me to pick up a mint copy. jim

To. me....'mint' in the Meostar 8x32 rests upon the focus wheel.... some of them are clunkier than others. When I bought mine thru Sports Optics in LA, I had them check a few of their stock to find the best one. An outfit like that, is more than willing to do so, which they did.... which allowed me to pick up a mint copy. jim
I must have got lucky, mine is like butter (y) (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back