• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A moth from this morning (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
I'm struggling with this one. Both photos are the same individual. Any suggested ID gratefully received!

Attachments

• P1040394.JPG
    P1040394.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 97
  • P1040396.JPG
    P1040396.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 95
*novice*

So not sure on this one either, though its marking makes me think it should be obvious once one knows.

In the Waring and Townsend Moth Field Guide I think its a moth from pages 248-249. I'd like to say Setaceous Hebrew Character - it at least fits the distribution and flight season (assuming this is a recent sighting). The Triple Spotted Clay and Double Square spot are listed as similar and it could be one of them too.

The oval mark looks better for the latter two, just not quite the right shape for the Hebrew, but the Hebrew's kidney mark and outermost cross line look better than either of the other two.

But like I said I can't be sure and it might not even be one of these three, will be good to hear from a more experienced member.

Large Yellow Underwing

A

Bloody hell, not again! The main thing I've learnt so far with regard to moths is that if you can't find it in the book it's probably a Large Yellow Underwing! I actually had two other LYUs this morning which were completely different to this individual. Mind you they were also completely different colours to each other, so maybe that should have given me a clue to just how variable these things are!

Thanks,

Stuart

andyadcock out of interest what is the tell-tale sign that is telling you that its this moth? I ask because whilst, now I google it, I can see multiple examples of this look, its very different to the " book ID" picture. So variable certainly, but there must surely be some morphology that makes it easier to see its species?

This specimen is actually very similar to the image in Waring & Townsend showing the underwing. Main ID features are the size, not many noctuids are this big, and the black mark near the leading edge at the tip of the wing. Most moth-ers get to see so many of these things that after a few trapping sessions they are no longer so confusing - honest!

David

I recommend purchasing Colour Identification Guide to Moths of the British Isles by the late Bernard Skinner which shows more variation within species as well as Waring & Townsend and indeed the Manley Photographic Guide. The moth photographed is a well marked individual but matches number 3 of Plate 26 in Skinner.

The size and shape of Large Yellow Underwing is pretty distinctive save maybe for other yellow underwings and Pearly Underwing. Indeed, I have almost overlooked the latter a couple of times - they are a relatively rare immigrant with a very different hindwing.

All the best

This specimen is actually very similar to the image in Waring & Townsend showing the underwing. Main ID features are the size, not many noctuids are this big, and the black mark near the leading edge at the tip of the wing. Most moth-ers get to see so many of these things that after a few trapping sessions they are no longer so confusing - honest!

David

Good point about that image in Waring & Townsend! I'm very new to mothing hence I haven't yet seen that many LYUs so those tips are useful. I'll post a few from this morning for confirmation in a minute. I don't think any of them are LYUs...

I recommend purchasing Colour Identification Guide to Moths of the British Isles by the late Bernard Skinner which shows more variation within species as well as Waring & Townsend and indeed the Manley Photographic Guide. The moth photographed is a well marked individual but matches number 3 of Plate 26 in Skinner.

The size and shape of Large Yellow Underwing is pretty distinctive save maybe for other yellow underwings and Pearly Underwing. Indeed, I have almost overlooked the latter a couple of times - they are a relatively rare immigrant with a very different hindwing.

All the best

I can't add more than Paul; says however, I personally find Skinner hard to use and speaking as slightly more advanced than a beginner, I think a novice would struggle.

Skinner uses photos of plates hence, the moths are not in the natural, resting position which is a huge help in aiding ID IMHO.

A

I find reference sites that carry a lot of pictures useful as you get to see the variations. eg the Norfolk Moths site, which also links each species through to lepiforum.de which has terrific photos. The Hants Moths site sometimes has tips for distinguishing easily confused species.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back