• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A national combined recording system (1 Viewer)

Sandy73

Do we need a national wildlife recording/logging website? A website where you can log all your sightings, regardless of species, and where conservation bodies/ charities can access all the data from one place.

Do other countries have multiple recording websites or are they combined?

For example, one of my local patch’s is a coppiced wood with a pond owned by the local Wildlife Trust. During a visit I see 20 different bird species, some butterflies, damselflies and dragonflies, some Red-tailed Bumblebees, a stoat, a couple of grey squirrels, a couple of common lizards and some newts in the pond. Just as the sun is setting and I’m leaving a Pipistrelle flies overhead.

So, I record my bird and dragonfly sightings on BirdTrack (the BTO recording system), the butterflies I record with my local Butterfly Conservation branch, the mammals with the local mammal society, the Pipistrelle with my local bat group and the lizard and newts with the local reptile and amphibian group.

That’s six different websites that I can record the information on. I don’t have to but it seems, to me, a shame not to add, however small, to local. County and national records. Are wildlife (bird/ butterfly/ all) watchers recording/ listing species but are not aware of all the different recording websites or don’t have the time to add data to so many websites?

Do others have this frustration? Would this combined recording system help or hinder?

Jim M.

Choose Civility

In the US, there is no combined system for all wildlife sightings. But the bird recording website (eBird) is combined in another way – it is global in scope, and is pretty much the default bird recording site for the entire Western Hemisphere.

Ideally I'd like to see all sites combined or networked into a single global portal through which a user could access all data on wildlife sightings on a global basis, and into which a user could input all his or her data from around the world. I think that should be the ultimate goal because human beings are the only creatures who pay attention to national boundaries. The linguistic and logistical difficulties for a geographically combined site are much greater in the Eastern Hemisphere, however, than in the Western Hemisphere.

Best,
Jim

Sandy73

Hello Jim.

That would be the ultimate goal. Trying to get it started in one country would be tricky enough. There are roughly 1 million members of the RSPB, if they could all record their sightings, however common the species might be, the information that it could provide.

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
Do we need a national wildlife recording/logging website? A website where you can log all your sightings, regardless of species, and where conservation bodies/ charities can access all the data from one place.

The Dutch and Belgians use waarneming.nl (or internationally observado.org) which serves your purpose (by now). For people who do not want to record things openly, there is also an anonymised version (telmee.nl).
If you want a local system which records everything, it is there already. But in every country the wheel needs to be invented multiple times.
———
Before I get shot down by competitors again – I am not linked to waarneming.nl, although I use it to share some plant sightings.

Users who are viewing this thread