• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new photo package (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hello

i am looking for a good, robust package for downlaoding my photos online

I had my desktop for many years until it died a death at the beginning this year. Since them, I have had two lot of issues with the motherboard/hard-drive - two disasters to be honest.

So, we had a local PC man who took on the task to rebuild a recycled hard-drive for us (along with the new upgrade to Microsoft 10) and now we have use of our desktop with a 26inch screen - so we do not miss a thing LOL

Anyway, it appears that Microsoft 10 do not have their own photo software anymore (or more to the point their latest so called version is not good)

Please can anyone assist me as I feel I am behind the times with technology and need to get up to date with the choices on-line

I have many photos to download and have a lot of catching up to do now

Thankyou.

Kx

I am struggling to know what you actually want?

Do you want to edit photos?

Do you want to catalogue photos on your computer?

Where are you downloading photos from?

Or are you uploading photos to website or to the cloud for archiving?

I am struggling to know what you actually want?

Do you want to edit photos?

Do you want to catalogue photos on your computer?

Where are you downloading photos from?

Or are you uploading photos to website or to the cloud for archiving?

Hi Mono

Sorry for my jibbar jabber is trying to describe what I want LOL.

What I am wanting is to download photos from my SLR, G15 and G10 cameras (OH has an SLR of his own too) - will get around to the mobile phones we have too

Edit and crop (if necessary) - rotate etc... ( I am not keen on the thought of photoshop)

Save and store them on the PC (to download as part of a bird report) as we have a large storage space which we can use

Hope this makes more sense to you :t:

Kx

Windows 10 will natively do what you want. It can import the photos from the device, either plugged in directly via USB or via a card reader. You can crop, rotate and do basic brightness adjustments. It will catalogue according to date and location (if the photos are thus tagged), you can even run face recognition!

The only limiting factor will be if you have taken RAW format photos were you may need to use the camera companies own software to adjust the RAW images to the final result.

Windows 10 will natively do what you want. It can import the photos from the device, either plugged in directly via USB or via a card reader. You can crop, rotate and do basic brightness adjustments. It will catalogue according to date and location (if the photos are thus tagged), you can even run face recognition!

The only limiting factor will be if you have taken RAW format photos were you may need to use the camera companies own software to adjust the RAW images to the final result.

Sound common sense prevails on my part - just out of touch at the moment.

I will investigate further with Wins 10 and see what I can find - I know it must be staring at me straight in the face

Thank you and I will let you know how I get on when I download photos onto here with a bird report or two.

Kx

I have never used RAW command in my photos so it does not apply.

I don't know what you were using before, but one easy way to download is to plug in the camera or other device, then left click on the Windows symbol, it will open a small screen showing various options such as music, downloads etc.

Put the cursor over the option called 'computer', a set of storage alternatives will show, starting with the local disk (the C disk), but will also include the plugged in device under some name such as 'removable disk I' .

Click on that link, it will show up another drive or card, the storage of the plugged in device.
Open that by clicking on it, (you may see several folders if the camera arranges things by date) and pick the desired folder, copy it or move it to your C drive.
Then you can play with the individual images using whichever program you have handy. Do note that this is a whole new world.
There are lots many free programs that are very capable, RawTherapee for instance, programs that allow one to adjust colors and repair mistakes, but recognize these are difficult to learn. If there is a powerful yet simple to use and easy to learn photo management tool, I've not yet found it.

Google once offered a good photo management tool called Picasa and it was a pleasure to use until Version 5.3 was superseded by Version 5.9, which made it vastly more Google and correspondingly less customer oriented.

I use IrfanView a lot for editing jpg files. Easy to use and free! It has 2 versions, 32 bit and 64 bit. Use whichever suits your computer hardware.

Although I have Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Nikon proprietary software for RAW files (which is rather clunky so mainly used to crop and convert to Jpg), I always end up using Photoscape, which is free to download, very intuitive, and offers loads of options from a Main Menu, the ability to edit in a great variety of ways being just one option on the menu. Took seconds to screengrab the attached pic.

Attachments

• Photoscape Screen Capture.jpg
    Photoscape Screen Capture.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back