• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A program to make life easier. (1 Viewer)

smeltmill

Dear all,

Is there a program which I can use to load multiple CDs onto my PC and have them operate as one unit and keep the integral search facility?

E.G. I have 100 years of National Geographic Magazine which has a boxful of CDs and I have to keep swapping them perpetually to follow a particular line of research.

If there is no program is there a cunning way of doing the same thing in XP?

Regards. G B-S.

smeltmill said:
Dear all,

Is there a program which I can use to load multiple CDs onto my PC and have them operate as one unit and keep the integral search facility?

E.G. I have 100 years of National Geographic Magazine which has a boxful of CDs and I have to keep swapping them perpetually to follow a particular line of research.

If there is no program is there a cunning way of doing the same thing in XP?

Regards. G B-S.

No idea on your cd as i've never used it, does the drive have to be the same always or will it search multiple drives like a few of my cdroms?

If multiple drives are permitted either via a config utilty in the software or manually editing an .ini file etc, you could create .ISO images for all the disks on your hard drive and use something like the free XP utitly VCdControlTool to mount each ISO as a virtual drive (or some other virtual drive software of your choice).

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have followed your line of help but could not get it to work.

Years ago when we left our 086 machines behind and thought it was wonderful to have a 30gig HD there was a program available which did the job. There must be an equivalent program out there some where.

Thank you again.
Regards Gordon.

smeltmill said:
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have followed your line of help but could not get it to work.

Years ago when we left our 086 machines behind and thought it was wonderful to have a 30gig HD there was a program available which did the job. There must be an equivalent program out there some where.

Thank you again.
Regards Gordon.

When you say you couldn't get it to work..... do you mean the cds wouldn't work from the virtual drives or you could get the virtual drive mapped?

If the 2nd, download the .exe file from the link and extract the files, copy the vcdrom.sys to windows\system32 folder, run the VCdControlTool.exe and click install driver, browser the the .sys file and load and start it.

You should now be able to mount .iSOs as virtual drives using the Mount button.

Works for me and my disks.

There are lots a virtual drive programs out there, some are free others charge.

Cheers

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back