• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A real mystery moth (1 Viewer)

Britseye

This one was taken from a sugar trap a few nights ago and has defeated my county recorder for an ID! It was a distinctive shape, rather bulging about the shoulders, not much smaller than a Herald on a nearby post. The shining iridescence on the upperparts was distinctive. Anyone?

Attachments

• mystery moth.jpg
    mystery moth.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 46
Wings slightly deformed (dried incorrectly) when coming from the chrysalis hence the shape? If so, what could it have been if normal? ...

Wings slightly deformed (dried incorrectly) when coming from the chrysalis hence the shape? If so, what could it have been if normal? ...

That has crossed my mind. In which case it may be impossible? Species diversity has been low on the sugar solution so candidates may be limited ? Ninety-five percent of approx 60 insects have been Large Yellow Underwing. Dark Arches and Heart & Dart.

The colour, shape and wing markings all suggest Clay.

An interesting call. I don't see an exact resemblance in wing shape but I can at least see faint suggestings of white spots on the forewing. The 'square bullet' head shape looks similar. I have had 1-2 Clays on the sugar so it could potentially be a candidate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back