• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sale Brings Me To Ultravids - 8X20 BL (1 Viewer)

The leather (if it is actually leather) on the 8x20 BL is so heavily processed it seems like plastic and is very resistant to water and fungus. I have some old optics with natural leather covering, and humidity is indeed an issue. The 8x20 BL I treat the same as any of my rubber/fake-leather covered optics and it still appears to be unaffected by water and humidity after over 10 years of regular use.

I have the Ultravid 8x20 BL (purchased in 2006) and the Monovid (purchased in 2009), which has much the same kind of leather covering. When I moved 18 months ago, the basement in my house had a humidity problem and the Monovid case developed a case of fungus infestation, whereas the Ultravid did not, nor did my Ultravid 8x42 BL (2008 vintage). Not sure why the difference, whether it is just random, but I wouldn't rely on leather treatment alone.

I have the Ultravid 8x20 BL (purchased in 2006) and the Monovid (purchased in 2009), which has much the same kind of leather covering. When I moved 18 months ago, the basement in my house had a humidity problem and the Monovid case developed a case of fungus infestation, whereas the Ultravid did not, nor did my Ultravid 8x42 BL (2008 vintage). Not sure why the difference, whether it is just random, but I wouldn't rely on leather treatment alone.

What did the leather look like after it became infested? Also, are you talking about the case only, or the leather on the Monovid as well?

Mine came in today. Considering how much smaller they are compared to my Swaro 8x25 and Zeiss Terra 8x25's they really are very good, but that was not unexpected. When I can get outside with them all and my wife's Minox 8x25 BR's and Vortex Viper 8x28's it will be interesting.

The eye relief seems better than advertised.

Mine came in today. Considering how much smaller they are compared to my Swaro 8x25 and Zeiss Terra 8x25's they really are very good, but that was not unexpected. When I can get outside with them all and my wife's Minox 8x25 BR's and Vortex Viper 8x28's it will be interesting.

The eye relief seems better than advertised.

I've really been pleasantly surprised at how amazing the image is in daylight, but peeking in to shadows while adequate remains the forte of larger glass. Maybe the biggest delight is how easy it is to get a full image and not have to hold the small binoculars 'just right'.

The 8X20's were my first pair of Leica's ever, and I've been so please I ordered a pair of 8X42 Ultravid HD Plus that cameraland was reselling from the SHOT Show. I should see those Thursday or Friday.

Anyone find them OK with eyeglasses?

Yes! They word just as nicely when my contacts are out and my glasses are on. I was so impressed I tried to order a second pair the morning the price dropped to $360 for the last eleven in stock, and they were sold out by the time I finished a meeting and had time to place an order.

Since I just added the little Leica to my compact binocular collection I thought it was time to take them all out and see how they all compared. The contenders are the Vortex Viper 8x28, Swaro 8x25, Zeiss Terra 8x25, Leopold Katami 6x30, Minox BF 8x25 BR and the new Leica 8x20. Note I believe the Minox are German made, not the newer Chinese version.

I had them all out at a local club's range area. The afternoon was generally sunny. All could easily see 22 caliber holes at 100yds, but the Minox was noticeably less capable than all the others. Despite that the Minox was still pretty decent. The two of us there playing with them did not have any issues with flaring. After spending time comparing them all under a variety of backgrounds and our local hawks that came to inspect us there were some rough calls to make. The Leica and Swaro were pretty much neck and neck for first choice. The Vortex and Zeiss for second and the Leopold and Minox for third. The interesting thing is that none were disappointing. The 6X Leopolds in particular are really nice compacts for general use.

When all is said and done between the 6 pairs there is about $700 price spread. You would not be disappointed with any of them.

Attachments

• DSC_1225.jpg
    DSC_1225.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_1226.jpg
    DSC_1226.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 284
And, unscientifically, my impression from birding with the Ultravid 8X20's as far as seeing something's detail in good light are 90%+ of my alpha Leica UV HD Plus 8X42 which themselves are equals among other alphas. With the caveat of good light, the resulting 8X20 Leica image is not quite as eye popping or as easy, but the detail is there, and the image is certainly pleasing although not art like it's big brother.

Of course there's a hundred little things that make the big boys stand out when unfairly and absurdly comparing these two; but at the end of the day, it is worth noting that in the 8X20, you generally have all of the image's detail with acceptable contrast, so from one perspective, you have everything.

So, is the alpha glass worth three hundred percent more for the price of admission? For sure. But I would of been perfectly fine only owning the 8X20's. And given their size, they remain irreplaceable.

Last edited:
What's interesting about messing around with the compacts is how well they do even in lower light and darker areas. Given that I'm 58 and the eyes don't dialate as big any more the better compacts serve well, though not as nice to use from the handling stand point. But since they are easy to carry I might actually have them with me where as the larger ones are sitting at home. Their small size has made the little Leica a new favorite :t:

I agree they do well in low light . . . until . . . until you pick up a Zeiss 8X42 HT or Leica Ultravid 8X42 HD Plus. So yes they do a good job in lower light, but you can still go from good to best.

Last edited:
What did the leather look like after it became infested? Also, are you talking about the case only, or the leather on the Monovid as well?

On the barrel as well, and the leather had swollen on one end, where it was normally flush with the body. I managed to clean it out with Lexol, but the swelling remains.

I got the UV BL 8x20 a few days ago. From the unusual pouch I would guess it is a Product RED special edition. It doesn't look as sturdy as the normal hard leather case, but it is extremely elegant and purse-like for a lady.

The 8x20 work fine with glasses, less so with the bare eyes if you have long eyelashes. My favorite binoculars remain the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD, for the perfect balance of portability and optics (many other brands' 8x30 are almost as large as Leica 8x42), but you can't carry them everyday in a jacket pocket as you can with the 8x20. I preferred the old Trinovid 8x20BL body design and strap, even if optically they were not quite as good.

Since I just added the little Leica to my compact binocular collection I thought it was time to take them all out and see how they all compared. The contenders are the Vortex Viper 8x28, Swaro 8x25, Zeiss Terra 8x25, Leopold Katami 6x30, Minox BF 8x25 BR and the new Leica 8x20. Note I believe the Minox are German made, not the newer Chinese version.

I had them all out at a local club's range area. The afternoon was generally sunny. All could easily see 22 caliber holes at 100yds, but the Minox was noticeably less capable than all the others. Despite that the Minox was still pretty decent. The two of us there playing with them did not have any issues with flaring. After spending time comparing them all under a variety of backgrounds and our local hawks that came to inspect us there were some rough calls to make. The Leica and Swaro were pretty much neck and neck for first choice. The Vortex and Zeiss for second and the Leopold and Minox for third. The interesting thing is that none were disappointing. The 6X Leopolds in particular are really nice compacts for general use.

When all is said and done between the 6 pairs there is about $700 price spread. You would not be disappointed with any of them.

What you have there is "le petit harem". I am jealous.

On the barrel as well, and the leather had swollen on one end, where it was normally flush with the body. I managed to clean it out with Lexol, but the swelling remains.

I got the UV BL 8x20 a few days ago. From the unusual pouch I would guess it is a Product RED special edition. It doesn't look as sturdy as the normal hard leather case, but it is extremely elegant and purse-like for a lady.

The 8x20 work fine with glasses, less so with the bare eyes if you have long eyelashes. My favorite binoculars remain the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD, for the perfect balance of portability and optics (many other brands' 8x30 are almost as large as Leica 8x42), but you can't carry them everyday in a jacket pocket as you can with the 8x20. I preferred the old Trinovid 8x20BL body design and strap, even if optically they were not quite as good.

I use the soft leather case that came with the 8x20 Leicas compacts I bought 20 years ago. The hard leather case that came with my 8x20 Silverline is far too nice to actually use.

Attachments

• 8X20BrownLeaterhLeicaCase.jpg
    8X20BrownLeaterhLeicaCase.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back