• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Taxonomic question (1 Viewer)

Hi! I am a new user here. My friend suggested this forum since he believe that I could get help from here. A while ago, I was reviewing my references on the Philippine kingfishers. While scanning some journals, I noticed that there was a changing of taxonomic names on kingfishers. In 1836, Swainson introduced a genus in his book "On the natural history and classification of birds", called the Alcyone: it is described to have traits similar from the Alcedos but distinguished of possesing only three toes. Early 1860's, the behavior from the Alcedinidae were little known of, especially on the small kingfishers i.e., Alcedo and Ceyx. From what I read, ethologically, Ceyces were considered terrestrial by nature. Alcedos on the other hand, spend most of their time on aquatic habitats. They are morphologically distinct by toe count, three for Ceyx and four on Alcedo. It became the common knowledge from both genus. Until the discovery of the aquatic yet three toed kingfishers, and one of these are the C. cyanopectus, C. argentata, C. flumenicola and C. nigrirostris. The "A Manual of Philippine Birds" by McGregor (1909), followed Sawinson's naming. Hence, the aforementioned species were known as Alcyone. But after reading recent papers on kingfisher phylogeny, like Andersen et al. (2018), I think, taxonomist no longer consider Alcyone as a valid category. If I am right, what could be the reason? Maybe it did not abide with ICZN rules?

Last edited:
Hola Zosteronis latistriatus! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and admin (y)

You can post your taxonomic question in our subforum here:

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Zosterornis latistriatus and a warm welcome from me too.

With the advent of DNA, the taxonomy of many species has undergone many changes over the last few years. I see Fritz has pointed you to our Taxonomy section, they will soon help you out.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hola Zosteronis latistriatus! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and admin (y)

You can post your taxonomic question in our subforum here:
Good to know that there is a particular segment for this issue. I will post it soon as a I get back to my PC. Thanks everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back