• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Texas Sparrow with a yellow rump? (1 Viewer)

mbwomer

Hello all,
I hope someone can assist with this bird. I am totally confused and have exhausted my patience and my guidebooks. Looks like a sparrow's bill, rosy coloration around the head like a finch, but a yellow spotted rump like one of our common warblers here. Seen in the NE Houston area yesterday and photographed by a friend. Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Mike W.

Attachments

• Bonnies_Mystery_Bird.jpg
    Bonnies_Mystery_Bird.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 99
Must be House Finch. They sometimes have yellow or orange where normally they would be rosy.

Niels

Hello Mike,

I'd say that is a House Finch. As their coloration is due to their food, it can vary between shades of red, orange, and yellow.

Happy birding,
Justin

Thanks for the help!

Thanks all, that yellow rump had me really baffled! Never seen anything like it.
The rosy-purple color around the head was very finch-like.

jremmons, I like your avatar picture! I was last on the APC-NWR tour with Ranger John last November 2nd... I got great shots, very similar to your fine photo. It was great!

Wait wait, maybe you are Ranger John? Shot this with my 400mm L series lens?

No way.

Justin. Slow down and read the full post, Mike.
Sorry!

Mike,

Though I am indeed not John, I do work for the Refuge as the wildlife technician; if you see the radio-telemetry antenna-equipped truck roaming around, you can bet I'm the driver. In fact, if you see anyone out in the field doing wildlife related things, that's most likely me.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, and I wish more people knew about this place!

All the best,
Justin

Justin,
Well this is really cool. We did enjoy our visit very much... I brought 6 birding friends along to share the experience and we hope to get back soon.

I'm sure I am straying off topic badly here. But thanks for all the hard work that you folks do, it is much appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back