• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A Trio of confusing moths for ID (1 Viewer)

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
Got a trio of moths confusing me here. All taken on the same night - 18 July:

1-2 - A wainscot of some type, I'm thinking common but I'm not sure.

3-4 - Its another of the Mythimna, but not sure - Clay, Brown-line Bright-eye - Wihte point - sort of warming to that one but, again not really sure

5 - really unsure on this one and I wonder if age and the wings fraying is leaving me confused.

Attachments

• IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 28

Farnboro John

No 5 is a Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing unless you can think of a legitimate reason for (a) the existence of and (b) the identification as "Langmaid's Yellow Underwing".

John

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
Thanks both! Farnboro John I am in Suffolk so a Langmaid is "potentially" possible. However it seems that only examination of the genitalia is the way to tell the two apart. As I don't retain the moths (they are freed after the photos) that's not an option, so I'd err that its far more likely the common variety.

dantheman

Bah humbug
I think Langmaid's is at least potentially possible on the underwing. But they are still rare (possibly overlooked) so wouldn't get overexcited ...

It's a case of popping in the freezer for 1 - 3 minutes (depending on freezer, species and original temperature - do it in increments) and teasing wings up to inspect underwing pattern. Set a timer though so you don't forget and perish the moth.

Not encountered Langmaid's myself, so open to correction;)

On the original question of id of 5) above as LBBYU - they are pretty distinct (unique even) in the appearance of the clean creamy front of the thorax and 'frosty' wing patterning imo, along with shape and size.

Users who are viewing this thread