• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A winter wren with a yellow rump in Austin Texas? (1 Viewer)

Mr_K

Hello,

A few days ago I saw a wren like bird with a yellow rump in my back yard. It was near my peanut feeder.

I live in Austin, Texas. The bird had a pale grey front with streaks of brown. The yellow patch on the rump was just above the tail, and about the size of a dime. It was a bird similar to a ruby crowned kinglet except there was no ruby crown nor any other colored streaks on the head or wings. Very winterish.

Any idea what it was? Thanks.

At your link I went down to Movements and saw a female juvenile yellow rumped warbler. It could be the one but I did not see a picture of it with the small yellow rump that I definitely saw on mine. Still, it looks like a good I.D. Thanks!

Just checking this again. Thanks all. Will be on the lookout for a new warbler this winter.
Yellow rumped warblers are not remotely wren like. I just saw a similar bird here on Terra Ceia Island, FL. Landed on the ground 3 feet from my lanai then flew to a low hanging live oak limb then gone. Tail bobbing, no distinct eye slash, brown on the sides but above the tail was yellow green. 11/14/22

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back