• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A52 Pit (1 Viewer)

thebeard

Hello

I live near holme pierrepont and have been birding down there a few times as there is often stuff reported there but i always struggle to see much.

the a52 pit is often mentioned but in my experience i have never been able to view it well. The only place i've seen where there is any sort of access is just before the farm near the gamston ring road roundabout on the western edge of the pit. Is there any better access and does anyone have any info on how best to bird this site? i've been on thee NBW site guide but i think its a bit dated and doesn't help too much! obviously it says its private land but any info would be appreciated.

cheers

Hi Beard,

Basically the only way to view it is from the A52 - try pulling in between the roundabout and the farm buildings. It gives a panoramic view of the site. Have tried looking from other ares but this is impossible

Sam

Agree with the above post but I find pulling off into the gate (where people typically view from) off the A52 a bit hairy. There's also a gate just past the petrol station (a but further out of town) where you can park a little easier and walk back to the best view.

Neither is ideal.

Edit: Here's the viewing point that I've always used, if anyone knows better let me know, the petrol station is much further along:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=a52+nottingham&safe=images&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=A52,+Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=52.933431,-1.0952&spn=0,0.144882&z=13&layer=c&cbll=52.933426,-1.095349&panoid=rDN0K5oOUkIGvgrScsrTWQ&cbp=12,43.92,,0,13.82

Last edited:
cheers folks i know those bits actually just cant ever seem to see much from them. guess lot of it is 'right place, right time'.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back