• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Aberdeenshire White Tailed Bird (1 Viewer)

AndySandyTaylor

United Kingdom
We've had a white tailed bird visiting our feeders for the last couple of weeks. We thought it was Blackbird with a few white tail feathers. Then thought the tail looked like a Magpie. I got a little closer and its actually a brown bird. Any ideas? The bird is sitting in a bush to start with and hard to see until it flies off.
View attachment Strange Bird.mov

AndySandyTaylor

United Kingdom
As far as I can tell, it is a leucistic Blackbird, ie an individual with some feathers white due to a lack of dark melanin. It is quite a common odd plumage in Blackbirds, although personally I have never seen one with this specific pattern.
Yes we thought it maybe that, but the pattern on the tail appears symmetrical which confused us (i.e. it is just two or three white feathers on the outer most sides).

Users who are viewing this thread