• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aberrant Mallard? S Poland (1 Viewer)

Max S.

I'm pretty sure this is a Mallard but it's always good to have a confirmation. Would it also be possible to say what type of aberrancy this is? Found today in S Poland.

Attachments

• DSCN0904.JPG
    DSCN0904.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0905 (2).JPG
    DSCN0905 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0906 (2).JPG
    DSCN0906 (2).JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 27
Yes, you are right with Mallard. Birds with (quite/nearly) uniform orange-brown body, pale grey tones to wing and back are regular. More rare is a black speculum, but I have seen a few.
I think most similar would be a female type Red-crested Pochard x Mallard hybrid, and I would like to know, if some of the above described features are indicative of RCP influence, as I have allways dismissed them as signs of farmyard/domesticated ancestry.

And if you look hard enough at the picture you can imagine this bird has a too broad/extensive dark cap at the head, but again head pattern in Mallard is variable...
Conclusion: I have seen similar birds before and allways identified them as Mallards, so your bird is a Mallard for me too.

I've seen similar female Mallard types with domestic ancestry (aka "Manky Mallards"). A view of the bill would be useful for determining if it's just one of those or a hybrid - any colour other than yellow, orange or grey/black would trigger suspicion...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back