• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

About Vortex Viper and Vortex Diamond: sharing info with you (1 Viewer)

Guilhem37

Hi, I'm not interested by this comparison but I just came across this very useful info from the online retailer First Light Optics so I wanted to share it with you:

[Customer Question] "Is the Viper HD noticeably better than the more affordable Diamondback HD?"

There are some minor mechanical differences (i.e. the Viper HD has locking diopter adjustment) but it is the optics that differ most.

The Viper HD uses a higher grade of HD glass. This reduces chromatic aberration (colour fringing around bright edges) to an absolute minimum. The Viper HD also features higher grade 'XR' optical coatings. Together, these differences provide noticeably higher performance (most noticeable when observing at dawn or dusk, in lower light). Specifically, the Viper HD views are brighter with reduced glare, higher edge sharpness and better colour rendition.

However, it costs a lot to squeeze the last ounce of performance from an optical design so the 'law of diminishing returns' applies (the Viper HDs price is roughly double that of the Diamondback HD but the increase in performance, though noticeable, is not).

The Viper HD is undeniably a superior binocular but the Diamondback HD offers higher value for money."

Source: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/al...8-binoculars-with-glasspack-harness-case.html

Regards,
Guilhem

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread