• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Accelerated speciation in colour-polymorphic birds (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Colour variation in birds

Delhey, Smith & Peters (in press). Colour-variable birds have broader ranges, wider niches and are less likely to be threatened. J Evol Biol. [abstract] [supp info]

Richard Klim

Origins of carotenoid-pigmented feathers

Thomas, McGraw, Butler, Carrano, Madden & James 2014. Ancient origins and multiple appearances of carotenoid-pigmented feathers in birds. Proc R Soc B 281(1788): 20140806. [abstract]

Richard Klim

Gouldian Finch

Kokko, Griffith & Pryke 2014. The hawk–dove game in a sexually reproducing species explains a colourful polymorphism of an endangered bird. Proc R Soc B 281(1793): 20141794. [abstract]

kitefarrago

Very interesting, Richard! Games as a way of modelling biology has been a bit of a hobby of mine (and I'm very familiar with the Hawk-Dove game used here) so it's very nice to see some research that supports this kind of modelling.

Andrea

cwbirder

I think this is probably the correct thread for this post. In the November issue of The American Naturalist there is a paper on sexual selection of dichromatism and diversification.

Huang and Rabosky. 2014. Sexual Selection and Diversification: Reexamining the Correlation between Dichromatism and Speciation Rate in Birds. The American Naturalist Vol. 184, No. 5, pgs E101-E114.

Link:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/678054

Richard Klim

Morphological basis of glossy red plumage colours

Iskandar, Eliason, Astrop, Igic, Maia & Shawkey (in press). Morphological basis of glossy red plumage colours. Biol J Linn Soc. [abstract & supp info]

Users who are viewing this thread