• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accessories for Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

Hello there,

I just got a bare ME66 with the K6 module. I plan to use it with the Tascam D100mk3 recorder. I am wondering if the me66 users could suggest good accessories to build up the system? Now I think at least I am looking for a good shock mount, windjammer (now I have only a foam one), and pistol handle.
Thank you so much,

Passakorn

I use a Rycote suspension system and windshield with the longer ME67 mic. Rycote are not the cheapest, but the quality is good.

For the ME66, Rycote do specific accessories - see Rycote

I use the modular windshield, similar to the one at the top of the page. This will provide the best wind protection as the basket creates still air around the mic. This modular kit includes suspension and pistol grip.

If you are in a less windy environment, then perhaps the Classic Softie Kit.

Regards

Jon Bryant

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Should I get good headphones as well? As it is a mono recording I am not sure if a good headphone would help a lot. Now I use simple earbuds. As it is mono so I tend to look to the left when I heard the sound as the mic is hooked up to the left channel.

I tend to reserve good headphones for post production work, out doors its whatever works for you, some people prefer over ear phones for sound isolation, personally I use a low cost ancient pair of Sonys that prove resilient to rain and being ill treated. I dont like ear buds, largely because they dont seem to fit my ears, but I can see their attraction.

I upgraded recently from a foam microphone cover for the ME66 to a Rycote softie & it's hard to believe how much better it is now

Here is my current poor man setup. ME66 with a foam and a cheap deadcat on the top, a foam suspension and a table top tripod. It does have some handling noise if I move the setup during the recording so I have to be rather still while recording. Should I expect major upgeade in sound quality if I invest a lot in rycote?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back