• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipiter ID-Guangxi, China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

August sighting of this raptor in Guangxi, China. My guess is Crested Goshawk, but wanted to confirm with those more familiar with hawks in the region.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC03438.JPG
    DSC03438.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03452.JPG
    DSC03452.JPG
    516 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC03439.JPG
    DSC03439.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 50
a Besra, the bill looks too small for Crested Goshawk
Bill-size in flight is a really tricky feature to use on an accipiter. I've found these two species very difficult in the past, so I wonder if you could give any other ID features that are showing here? - e.g. I'm struck by the bulging secondaries in the OP's photos, which - from the books - are a feature that looks better for crested goshawk?

The reason I leaned toward Crested Goshawk initially was primarily that I have observed this species in the area before, when it showed prominent and puffy white "fluff" around the vent/foot area, and was performing characteristic in-flight display. Given that it is probably too early for migrants here I thought that Crested Goshawk (a summer resident) would be more likely, though I don't know the status of Besra in the area and it may be a resident as well.

Here are a few more (bad) photos of the same bird in case they are of any additional help.
Mike

Attachments

• DSC03455.JPG
    DSC03455.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03454.JPG
    DSC03454.JPG
    633.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03446.JPG
    DSC03446.JPG
    791.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I'd say Besra as well. It doesn't look bulky enough for Crested Gos, wing shape looks better (slightly longer and more pointed than the rounded wings of Crested) and the tail shape looks better (slightly more square, not as rounded at the corners). Of course, the moult makes some of these features a bit tricky on this bird.

I think Besra should be resident in Guangxi, so time of year isn't a problem. Observations in Hong Kong suggest that they are often a bit easier to see in late summer (August-September) and may start dispersing away from breeding sites into other locations.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back