• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipiter superciliosus fontainieri Bonaparte, 1853 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Accipiter superciliosus fontainieri Bonaparte, 1853 OD here

The Key to Scientific Names
"M. Fontainier vient d'en rapporter une espèce qui devra porter son nom (Accipiter Fontainieri) si elle est nouvelle" (Bonaparte 1853); "the type [rufous ☼] examined in the Paris Museum was obtained by M. Fontanier at Santa Cruz, Magdalena, Colombia; ...the name was, in accordance with the discoverer's (Fontanier) orthography, corrected in ...1854" (Hellmayr & Conover 1949). ?Henri-Victor Fontanier (1830-1870) French diplomat (I have yet to find evidence that he was in Colombia in the early 1850s) (subsp. Microspizias superciliosus).

See also discussion here. We can find this spelling also on p. 832 here
Fontainier vient de rapporter de Guaripata une magnifique espèce nouvelle que j'appellerai : ...
or p. 807 here
...qui vient d'être rapporté au Muséum, par M. Fontainier...

The Eponym Dictionary of Mammals and The Eponym Dictionary of Birds ignores the fact of the different spelling.
Tiny Hawk ssp. Accipiter superciliosus fontanieri Bonaparte, 1853
Henri Victor Fontanier (1830–1870) was in Colombia (c.1850) before becoming the French Consul at Tientsin in China (1870), combining that job with collecting for the Paris Museum On 21 June 1870 a crowd of locally prominent representatives at Tianjin (Tientsin) marched (1870) on a Roman Catholic orphanage run by French and Belgian nuns (the French Sisters of Charity), accusing them of kidnapping children and taking their eyes to make medicine. The crowd demanded to search for the truth. Fontanier lost his temper and fired into the crowd, killing the District Magistrate's servant. The xenophobic Chinese mob attacked, killing 24 foreigners, including Fontanier and the nuns, mutilating their bodies. Two mammals are named after him. We believe he might have been the son of another French naturalist, Victor Fontanier (1796–1857), a pharmacist who was sent out by the French government as an envoy to the Persian Gulf 1834) and wrote Voyage in the Indian Archipelago (1852).

I would be careful as James as I found no evidence either that he was ever in Colombia or New Granada. But of couse it may just a misspelling of Bonaparte. Maybe it will be solved here.

I would be careful as James as I found no evidence either that he was ever in Colombia or New Granada. But of couse it may just a misspelling of Bonaparte. Maybe it will be solved here.

... de M. [Monsieur] Fontainier, apporté de la Nouvelle-Grenade; ...

[published in the same Journal, but of 1858, here]​

... Fontainier (Victor), chancelier provisoire à Sainte-Marthe (Colombie); Novembre 1852-Août 1853. New-York ; Mars- Avril 1854. La Havane ; Mai-Juin 1854.the ; Novembre 1852-Août 1853.

[here, page 4; below "Contenu"]​

If of any relevance/help/use?

Who he was? I have no idea.

Last edited:
Here what James mentioned. And this refers probably to here.
Avant le quitter les Falconides, disons que M. Fontanier vient d'en rapporter une espèce qui devra porter son nom (Accipiter Fontanieri) si elle est nouvelle.
So Bonaparte is inconsistent. Same p. 2 and p. 10 he called him Fontanier. See also the comment in Zoonomen post # 1.

Normand David provided me with a copy of Voisin C, Voisin J-F. 2001. "Liste des types d'oiseaux des collections du Musém national d'Histoire naturelle de Paris. 8: Rapaces diurnes (Accipitridés), première partie." Zoosystema 23(1):173-190. The entry on p.183 is of interest, it reads:Accipiter Fontainieri Bonaparte, 1853, Holo-
type par monotypie.
Bonaparte, Comptes Rendus hebdomadaires des
Séances de l'Académie des Sciences, Paris
37: 810.
Accipiter superciliaris fontainieri, Bonaparte,
C.G.: 1853-471.
Autres numéros de catalogues: A.C. n° 653,
N.C. n° 916.
Inscriptions sous le socle:
Santa-Cruz/ M. Fontanier [sic]/juv. ♀/Accipiter
tinus Lath./Accipiter Fontanierii [sic]. Bp./ Type.
Inscriptions sur l'étiquette du socle:
Accipiter tinus (Lath.)/ A. Fontanierii [sic]. (Bp.)
Type ♀/ M. Fontanier [sic] Santa Cruz.

And see also Libellé du pays: [Colombie], Nom du récolteur: Fontanier and especially Spécimen - Holotype Accipiter Fontainieri Bonaparte, 1853

If here is correct it could be that he was with his father in 1852 in Santa Marta (but written Sainte-Marthe). Not sure if that all is reliable. And here tells us his father was in 1852 consul in Santa Marta.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell (not understanding much French), doesn't that make [the senior] Victor Fontanier (1796–1857), a more likely candidate ... :unsure:

French Wiki = here

Last edited:
I agree the Father is the honoree. Victor Fontanier (Sept. 23, 1796 St. Flour France - Civita Vecchia, Italy May 26, 1857) He was French consul in Singapore, Basra and more and ended his career in Civita-Vecchia. He wrote a book about his travels in Eastern Mediterranean. He first studied pharmacy and drawing, entered the Ecole Normale then the National Museum of Natural History. He was the son of Pierre Fontanier, a famous grammarian. D’Orbigny named a mollusc(?) after Victor spelled fontanieri.

According to this he died May 27 1857
But was buried? in Saint-Flour, Cantal, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.

Attachments

• iipsrv (1).jpeg
    iipsrv (1).jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The Key updated:
fontainieri
Original spelling of specific name Accipiter fontanieri Bonaparte, 1853 (= subsp. Microspizias superciliosus).
fontanieri
Victor Fontanier (1793-1857) French diplomat, Consul in Santa Marta, New Granada / Colombia 1852 (Martin Schneider in litt.); "M. Fontainier vient d'en rapporter une espèce qui devra porter son nom (Accipiter Fontainieri) si elle est nouvelle" (Bonaparte 1853); "the type [rufous ☼] examined in the Paris Museum was obtained by M. Fontanier at Santa Cruz, Magdalena, Colombia ... First mis-spelled "fontainieri," the name was, in accordance with the discoverer's (Fontanier) orthography, corrected in Not. Orn. Coll. Delattre, in 1854." (Hellmayr and Conover, 1949, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. I (4), pp. 66-67) (subsp. Microspizias superciliosus).

Why suddenly Birth "1793" ... ? :unsure:

Last edited:
According to this he died May 27 1857
But was buried? in Saint-Flour, Cantal, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.

He was born in Saint-Flour, Cantal, on 23 Sep 1796. He died in Civita Vecchia, "Etat Romain", on 26 May 1857.

This death certificate was written on 27 May in Civita Vecchia, then sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Paris; it was then forwarded on 29 Jul to St-Flour, and finally transcribed in the St-Flour registers on 30 Oct.
(I assume they recorded his death in the registers of his place of birth because he had died abroad.)

James, another (minor) suggestion, re. his title (as of now/above; "Consul"), and his posting in Colombia (ditto; "1852"); according to the document in post #2 he's: "... chancelier provisoire à Sainte-Marthe (Colombie); Novembre 1852-Août 1853".

For whatever it's worth.

:coffee:

Last edited:
Why is the father the more likely candidate? Wikipedia tells us as well on Henri Victor Fontanier:

... et en 1852 à Sainte-Marthe ; chargé provisoirement de la chancellerie de Sainte-Marthe ; il est correspondant du Muséum d'histoire naturelle ;

So both have been in the Santa Marta region. The son communicated with the MNHN. And is not the son the chancelier provisoire?

Personally I would consider both father and son.

If the son it could be that he was born according here p. 20 of 101 28. February 1834. Couldn't find him in Leonore. He died according here (footnote) 21 June 1870.

Fusus fontanieri d'Orbigny, 1847 OD Voy. Astrolabe et Zelee, Paleont. PL 5, Figs. 6 and 7. 1850 (did not find yet, not here)

Last edited:
Martin thanks for looking for Fusus fontanieri . I have not found it yet either. All I know is the plate is in: Paléontologie”, pls. 1–6 (=Géologie, pls. 4–9). In Dumont d'Urville, M. de D. Voyage au Pôle Sud et dans l'Océanie sur les Corvelles l'Astrolabe et la ...
145 items in the MNHN were collected by a collector named Fontanier.
Nom du récolteur: Fontanier .
The only birds from Colombia are designated as being collected by Victor Fontanier.

Found my information in Prodrome de paléontologie stratigraphique universelle des animaux entry 344

Assume according here...

ORBIGNY, A, D'. 1846. Coquilles fossiles des terrains crétacés de Pondichéry et du Chili. Atlas n° 3. In: M. J. Dumont d'Urville, 1846, Voyage au pôle sud et dans l'Océanie sur les corvettes l'Astrolabe et la Zélée, exécuté par Ordre du Roi pendant les années 1837-1838-1839-1840, pls. 4-9.

Last edited:
Either way, today's re-updated Key gives:
fontanieri
Victor Fontanier (1796-1857) French diplomat, Consul in Santa Marta, New Granada / Colombia 1852 (Martin Schneider in litt.); ... and onwards.
... now with his years (life span) in accordance to what's been told earlier in this thread.

Martin, as of right now (in the Key) it looks like you're the one who convinced James in favour of Senior! ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back