• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accommodation Semliki NP (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Is there still accommodation here, is there any way of booking it in advance and what is it like? I will be with my wife and daughter so won't get away with roughing it too much. The other alternative is staying in Fort Portal, any suggestions for how well this works appreciated. Not sure if you visited/are going to visit here @Andrew Whitehouse. We won't have camping gear.

Is there still accommodation here, is there any way of booking it in advance and what is it like? I will be with my wife and daughter so won't get away with roughing it too much. The other alternative is staying in Fort Portal, any suggestions for how well this works appreciated. Not sure if you visited/are going to visit here @Andrew Whitehouse. We won't have camping gear.
I thought about going to Semuliki but decided against it in the end. I'm not sure about accommodation on site. The relatively recent post by the Gallardys suggests they camped:

I stayed at the Vanilla Hotel, Bundibugyo in 2006. Maybe not one for the family, though it beat going back to Fort Portal for us. Worth checking security situation given it's close to the border. There was quite a lot of military around during our stay, and it was quite noisy at night. On the positive side we had Bat Hawk from the garden whilst having a beer and what was close to being a curry. I quite enjoyed it.

There maybe a couple of other options in Bundibugyo now looking at google. If you arent able to camp, and dont want to go basic, I think Fort Portal may be your alternative however.

I stayed at the Vanilla Hotel, Bundibugyo in 2006. Maybe not one for the family, though it beat going back to Fort Portal for us. Worth checking security situation given it's close to the border. There was quite a lot of military around during our stay, and it was quite noisy at night. On the positive side we had Bat Hawk from the garden whilst having a beer and what was close to being a curry. I quite enjoyed it.

There maybe a couple of other options in Bundibugyo now looking at google. If you arent able to camp, and dont want to go basic, I think Fort Portal may be your alternative however.

Thanks. I just read a report of the Vanilla in a trip report and it didn't sound great, and the reviews I found elsewhere didn't make it sound good either , but it did motivated to look harder for accommodation in Bundibugyo and I found somewhere that sounds a bit more upmarket.

For anyone else wishing to visit, I thought I'd update this. We booked in Bundibugyo. When we got there, they had no record of our booking. The place looked a dump so we went back to the reserve. There are at least 5 twin huts. Apart from lack of hot water, these are actually very nice and good value at just over 20 dollars. As we're in a family group of 3 we squeezed into one. Food is available although it has to be ordered a few hours in advance so don't rely on getting lunch on arrival. I suspect it is very unlikely to be full but there are a few places in Bundibugyo if that happened. Fort Portal is too far to be convenient.

Latest update food okay too but serious there is a serious issue: the fridge is broken and the beer is warm!

Last edited:
Semuliki has a reputation of being rarely visited. There were 640 visitors yesterday. Apparently this is normal and weekends are considerably higher! Early hours fine then noisy and busy.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back