• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acorn, Downy, or Hairy Woodpecker in California's San Joaquin Valley? (1 Viewer)

vbnut

I took this photo shortly after noon in mid-February 2022, at San Luis National Wildlife Refuge near Los Banos, California. I don't see very many woodpeckers, but I'm guessing this is a Acorn, Downy or Hairy. Can anyone help me with the id?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PSC_20220213_7846.jpg
    PSC_20220213_7846.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 35
I took this photo shortly after noon in mid-February 2022, at San Luis National Wildlife Refuge near Los Banos, California. I don't see very many woodpeckers, but I'm guessing this is a Acorn, Downy or Hairy. Can anyone help me with the id?

Thanks in advance.
No Photo!

Cheers

Yes, a Hairy Woodpecker would have an all white outer tail feather and a Downy has black markings on the white outer tail feathers.

Do I recall that western populations of hairy wodpecker have black on the outertail? In any event, the small bill makes this downy woodpecker. Acorn woodpecker has mantle all-black and a peculiar face-pattern.

Do I recall that western populations of hairy wodpecker have black on the outertail? In any event, the small bill makes this downy woodpecker. Acorn woodpecker has mantle all-black and a peculiar face-pattern.
I'm on the eastern side of the U.S.
Downy woodpeckers have a few black bars or spots on their white outer tail feathers, while the outer tail feathers on the hairy are usually plain and unmarked.

The OP's record is in W California. Pacific populations of hairy woodpecker have black markings on the white outer tail-feathers (Sibley), so that ID criterion may not be applicable in this case.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back