• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acro/Iduna warbler, Dhaka December 2020 (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
A friend and I saw this warbler just outside Dhaka last week. Booted Warbler is somewhat rare in Bangladesh but regular at this location and usually seen right in this exact section of the birding spot, a row of okra plants along a dike between two fairly small waterbodies.
We originally IDed it as Booted in the field, but then got feedback from others who are more experienced and aren't so sure on the ID. I also recorded it singing.

I only managed one bad photo because I was busy trying to get the recording, but my friend got a few slightly better shots.
Main suggestions are Iduna (most likely Booted as Sykes's is quite rare) and Paddyfield, but no one is quite sure. Any thoughts on the ID?

Recording of it's song: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/285321621

Attachments

• _DSC7176 (2).jpg
    _DSC7176 (2).jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 43
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.43.44 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.43.44 PM.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.37.34 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.37.34 PM (1).jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.37.34 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.37.34 PM.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.37.35 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 4.37.35 PM.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 42
The song sounds good for Booted Warbler with characteristic faint start and rising volume. Also the photos look good for Booted IMO, although it would be nicer to have a little bit sharper photos with this species.

Interesting. After listing to a recording or two I can see that, but the bird doesn't actually look like Blunt-winged to me? (Plus we don't have any confirmed records from Bangladesh that I know of)

yeah, one thing that was confusing some people was the relatively strong brow behind the eye.
The song sounds good for Booted Warbler with characteristic faint start and rising volume. Also the photos look good for Booted IMO, although it would be nicer to have a little bit sharper photos with this species.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back