• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrocephalus and Hippolais warblers id pls. China (1 Viewer)

xuky.summer

1 Acrocephalus, 2013-05-21, Shandong province, same bird
I think it is a Paddyfield Warbler or Manchurian Reed Warbler. The supercilium widen or flare behind the eye and not edged dark above , fit Paddyfield Warbler, but pale lower mandible, long tail and distribution range more fit Manchurian Reed Warbler.
http://www.birdnet.cn/showtopic.aspx?topicid=538418&forumpage=1&onlyauthor=1

2 Hippolais or Acrocephalus, 2013-05-21, Xinjiang province
1,5 same bird, Booted Warbler? But the bill seems stout and long and lack distinct dark tip.
2,3,4 same bird, also Booted Warbler? long suppercilium and short primary projection. For Blyth's Warbler, Should the bill be more long?
http://www.birdnet.cn/showtopic.aspx?topicid=539059&forumpage=1&onlyauthor=1

Thank you

xuky

Ok just to start the ball Rolling (with the help of 'Reed and Bush warblers'):

I'd say the first one is a Paddyfield:
- the neck sides look grey
- the supercilium flares behind the eye

For the second bird (pic 1 and 5 in the second link) I'd plump for Booted:
- contrasting tertials pattern
- bill colour with rather extensive dark tip to the lower mandible
- rather obvious supercilium

The last bird (pic 2,3,4 in the second link) is the only one I am reasonnably confident about: Blyth's reed warbler

Hi Xuky,

I was going to come back to this, but forgot..

I think the first is a Manchurian, there is a thin, pencil like line above the supercilium evident in one or two shots. The iris looks pale, I think the rather harsh light masks this and structurally, as suggested its fine.

2/3/4/ I'd suggest is a Blyth's Reed.

Bit perplexed by 1/5

OK, I'll put in my 2 fen.

My first instinct on the first bird was that it looked good for Manchurian. I do see a dark line above the white super, and there is a light area above the bill which I've been told is also good for Manchurian. But to be honest, I've never seen a paddyfield well, so I can't be sure.

Not trying the other bird.

Thank you!
Could the supercilium of Blyth's reed warbler be clear behind eye?

What is about these? Third part. Shandong province, 2013-05-21
1-2, Manchurian Reed Warbler or strange Black-browed Reed Warbler?
3-5, three photos don't know if it the same.
Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler X Middendorff's Grasshopper Warbler? or may be a strange Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler?

xuky

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thank you!
Could the supercilium of Blyth's reed warbler be clear behind eye?

What is about these? Third part. Shandong province, 2013-05-21
1-2, Manchurian Reed Warbler or strange Black-browed Reed Warbler?
3-5, three photos don't know if it the same.
Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler X Middendorff's Grasshopper Warbler? or may be a strange Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler?

xuky

Photos 3-5 look like rubescens Pallas's Grasshopper.

An odd Black-browed for 1/2, general colour tones, structure and long outer primary.

The Pallas's Grasshoppers are interesting. I wonder if the rather plain uppertail coverts, very fine, narrow crown streaking, colour tones are perhaps indicative of more western subspecies. However I would be wary of image 4, the very diffuse mantle streaking, seemingly unmarked uppertail would set a few alarm bells ringing. The variations in Middendorf's are not yet fully understood where they overlap with PGW and to add to the problem, there is a stable hybrid population around the Amur and Sakhalin.
:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back