• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrocephalus Warbler (1 Viewer)

Keanumrc

Hi all

I photographed and managed to sound-record this small acrocephalus warbler in Pretoria, South Africa, but was hoping for some opinions on it from some international/European birders with more experience with this genus.

The two regular options for South Africa would be African Reed-Warbler and Marsh Warbler. I'm leaning towards Marsh Warbler based on the habitat (quite far from water, in a dense, shrubby tree with a very weedy undergrowth), the buffy (not rufous) tones to its plumage, the pale claws and the fact that its song lacks the rythmic regularity of a reed warbler.

The things concerning me are the rather short and stubby wings in the second photo (I also attached a third photo of the wings - I think they may look a little longer here though) and local birders have said that the song doesn't seem to have enough mimicry for Marsh Warbler. I would love to hear your opinions on whether the wings and song are still within range for Marsh Warbler though. Perhaps someone could even pick up some mimicry in the song (European birds perhaps?).

Thank you!

Regards
Keanu Canto

Attachments

• AcrocephalusWarbler1.jpg
    AcrocephalusWarbler1.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 43
  • AcrocephalusWarbler2.jpg
    AcrocephalusWarbler2.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 43
  • AcrocephalusWarbler3.jpg
    AcrocephalusWarbler3.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 43
  • HazeldeanWarblerAmplified.mp3
    371.7 KB
The recording sounds just right - a singing Marsh Warbler for me. I have one in my garden every year :). E.g. between 9-11 sec there is mimicry of Common Linnet.

The pictures are more diffucult. The wings do look short but it might be due to active moult...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back