• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adelomyia melanogenys debellardiana (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Hi James, HBW Alive mention:

debellardiana

Eponym; ?Eugenio de Bellard Pietri 1927-2000 Venezuelan lawyer, businessman, spelaeologist; dedication unseen (Aveledo & Perez 1994, Bol. Soc. Venezolana Cienc. Nat., 44, 233) (subsp. Adelomyia melanogenys).

Dedication is on page 234 and they wrote:
En nombre de la colección W.H. Phelps, nos complace dedicar esta nueva subspecie en honor de nuestra distinguido y apreciado amigo, el espeleólogo Eugenio de Bellard Pietri por su gran contribución a la cienca, al haber creado la espeleología en Venezuela y contribuido por medio de sus investigaciones al adelanto de esta ciencia en Venezuela.

Name of the article is "Descripcion de nueve subespecies nuevas y comentarios sobre dos especies de aves de Venezuela"

Martin,
Thanks very much indeed for this. I have been trying to get access to thearticle (and earlier ones in the journal) for many years, without success. If you have it or can still access are you able to help with the following ?
Boletín de la Sociedad Venezolana de Ciencias Naturales. Caracas.
1976 Crypturellus obsoletus knoxi Phelps, 32, p. 16
1977 Todirostrum margaritaceiventer breweri Phelps, 33 (134), p. 33
1987 Picumnus squamulatus lovejoyi Phelps & Aveledo, 41 (144), p. 17
1987 Phacellodomus rufifrons castilloi Phelps & Aveledo, 41 (144), p. 20
1988 Amazilia cupreicauda laireti Phelps & Aveledo, 42 (145), p. 7
1991 Cymbilaimus lineatus brangeri Aveledo & Perez, 44, p. 21
1994 Chloroceryle americana bottomeana Aveledo & Perez, 44, p. 235
1994 Drymophila caudata aristeguietana Aveledo & Perez, 44, p. 240
1994 Rhynchocyclus olivaceus jelambianus Aveledo & Perez, 44, p. 243
1994 Tangara nigroviridis lozanoana Aveledo & Perez, 44, p. 251

With grateful thanks in advance.
James

Just a thought ...

James, why not post similar list's (in various new threads) on other missing items; lost journals, or books not found, as well as doubtful, obscure etymologies, questionable persons or places, unexplained alt. unsatisfactory explantions, tricky descriptions or texts in languages too hard ... etc. etc., whatever you´re missing, still waiting to be solved ... there must be at least a few?

And then, just let all our keen "Etymologist's" loose!

There seem to be no end to what they all either know or can find!
So far they´ve been more than willing and helpful ...

I am constantly surprised by the information and gleanings highlighted in this subforum. You are probably right that some of the names I "need" will fall within the combined knowledge of BirdForum's enthusiasts and etymologists. As a sample I list what's "missing" from JfO. However, my "Descriptions & Diagnoses Unseen" file is nearly ten pages of closely-typed, single-spaced lists of journals (some very obscure), books, and descriptions that still elude me, and I am loth to overwhelm the subforum. I keep promising myself a week in Tring's library, but since retirement.......!

Journal für Ornithologie. Ein Centralorgan für die Gesammte Ornithologie.
1854 Larichos Reichenbach, 1 (1853), Extra-heft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 5
1854 Thalurania lydia Reichenbach, 1 (1853), Extra-heft, Aufz. der Colibris, p. 7
1854 Riccordia ramondii Reichenbach, 1 (1853), Extra-heft, Aufz. der Colibris, p. 8
1857 Coconia Kaup, 4 (24) (1856), p. 406
1923 Turdus libonyanus costae Rensch, 71, p. 99
1929 Perisoreus infaustus varnak Sushkin & Stegmann, 77, p. 399
1929 Rhipidura rufifrons mimosae Meise, 77, p. 460
1931 Phylloscopus sibilatrix ludmilae Snigerewski, 79, p. 61
1955 Tanysiptera galatea brunhildae Jany, 96, p. 104
1968 Geositta rufipennis ottowi Hoy, 109, pp. 228+
1972 Hypochera lorenzi Nicolai, 113, p. 236

Coconia Kaup, 1857.
Excellent. Thank you for locating the correct page number (460 not 406 as given on Richmond Card). It seems that Coconia is but a lapsus for Ciconia!

Perisoreus infaustus varnak subsp. nov.
[descriptive text]​
Beschrieben nach 15 Exemplaren.
Typus: ♂ ad. 4. VIII. 1928 Tukuringra-Gebirge, 100 km nördlich von der Stadt Ruchlowo, coll. B. STEGMANN. Befindet sich im Zool. Mus. Ac. Sci. U.S.S.R.
Verbreitung: Gebiet der Seja (Zufluß des Amur) und ihrer Zuflüsse, vom Oberlaufe des Amur nach Norden bis zum Stanowoi-Gebirge. Exemplare sind vom Ursprunge der Seja (Stanowoi-Gebirge), vom Tukuringra-Gebirge und von Dsheltulak (Gebiet des Giljui, eines Zuflusses der Seja) besichtigt worden.
So this is not Sakhalin. On Sakhalin, the form they recognize is "Perisoreus infaustus sakhalinensis Buturl."

1854 Riccordia ramondii Reichenbach, 1 (1853), Extra-heft, Aufz. der Colibris, p. 8

Judging from the OD, this is named for Ramón de la Sagra, whose name Ornismya Riccordii was replaced by Reichenbach in combination with the new subgenus Riccordia. (Common practice in those days was to avoid binomials like "Riccordia riccordii.")

Judging from the OD, this is named for Ramón de la Sagra, whose name Ornismya Riccordii was replaced by Reichenbach in combination with the new subgenus Riccordia. (Common practice in those days was to avoid binomials like "Riccordia riccordii.")
Was the the Galician ("Spanish") Anarchist Ramón de la Sagra (1798–1871), whose full name was Ramón Dionisio José de la Sagra y Peris, who (among many other titles) was Professor of Natural History of Cuba 1822 … etc etc. ?

And if so: why the ramondii ?

PS. 1854 Larichos Reichenbach, 1 (1853), Extra-heft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 5
... and: 1854 Thalurania lydia Reichenbach, 1 (1853), Extra-heft, Aufz. der Colibris, p. 7

Last edited:
Was the the Galician ("Spanish") Anarchist Ramón de la Sagra (1798–1871), whose full name was Ramón Dionisio José de la Sagra y Peris, who (among many other titles) was Professor of Natural History of Cuba 1822 … etc etc. ?

And if so: why the ramondii ?

Yes, although in the Key to Scientific Names entry for sagrae the date span 1801-1871 is used.

The spelling ramondii would be from a Latinized form of Ramón, namely Ramondius.

Make sense!

Note: I haven´t checked his birth. "My" years was the ones I found, (quickly googling), simply to ask that question ... from what I know it could be either one!

He sure was a young Professor ...

Cheers!

1854 Larichos Reichenbach, 1 (1853), Extra-heft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 5

As for Larichos, the original description does not say (actually the name is a nomen nudum).

I note that Larichos in Ancient Greece was a brother of Sappho (source) -- perhaps there is a connection with the hummingbird generic name Sappho, in turn named for said poetess?

Laurent,
Perisoreus infaustus varnak Sushkin & Stegmann, 1929.
I am astonished and overwhelmed!! How do you find all this obscure info?? Varnak or thief is an excellent name for the tame, sometimes intrusive, Siberian Jay. I have edited HBWAlive Key accordingly.
James

Carmelbird
Larichos Reichenbach, 1854.
Thanks for the reference (the name is not in my (old) Lempriere's classical dictionary). As brother to Sappho this must be Reichenbach's meaning, since he was very fond of using the classics and mythology.
I would be pleased to add your proper name to my Acknowledgements.
James

Carmelbird
Larichos Reichenbach, 1854.
Thanks for the reference (the name is not in my (old) Lempriere's classical dictionary). As brother to Sappho this must be Reichenbach's meaning, since he was very fond of using the classics and mythology.
I would be pleased to add your proper name to my Acknowledgements.
James

Ok thanks, I just added my real name to my profile (should be visible now).

Much obliged!

Carmelbird and Björn,
Riccordia ramondii Reichenbach, 1854.
Thanks for the attachments. I agree that this hummingbird was named for Ramon de La Sagra; I shall work on his name and dates in due course. All your efforts are much appreciated.
James

Martin has generously provided me with a copy of Aveledo & Perez's 1994 paper in Boletín de la Sociedad Venezolana de Ciencias Naturales (this thread #2). I shall do further work on dates and so on, but in the meantime here are very brief eponymic details.
Drymophila caudata aristeguietana - Prof. Dr Leandro Aristiguieta (botanist)
Chloroceryle americana bottomeana - Peter Bottome
Adelomyia melanogenys debellardiana - Dr Eugenio de Bellard Pietri
Rhynchocyclus olivaceus jelambianus - Dr Octavio Jelambi
Tangara nigroviridis lozanoana - José Gregorio Lozano Berrisbeitia and his brother José Aquilino Lozano Berrisbeitia (collectors)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back