• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adelomyia melanogenys debellardiana (1 Viewer)

Martin has generously provided me with a copy of Aveledo & Perez's 1994 paper in Boletín de la Sociedad Venezolana de Ciencias Naturales (this thread #2). I shall do further work on dates and so on, but in the meantime here are very brief eponymic details.
Drymophila caudata aristeguietana - Prof. Dr Leandro Aristiguieta (botanist)
[...]
James, this might be some little help? The Venezuelan botanist Leandro Aristiguieta (1923–2012)

The others; Eugenio de Bellard Pietri, Peter Bottome, Octavio Jelambi and the brothers Lozano Berrisbeitia (Berrizbeita?) … I´d never heard of before.

Some minor musings ...

I don't have access to the original, but it seems likely this is named for Johann Ottow, who coauthored this paper with Gunnar Höy.

(In fact, googling "Dr Johann Ottow" reveals that the new Eponym Dictionary of Birds confirms the above.)
Well, Michael, like we´ve seen before the Eponym Dictionary of Birds (see earlier thread, here) is not to trust in whole …

Regarding ottowi (and hoyi) ... I´m not fully convinced that "Johann" Ottow really was "German"! That was simply the German spelling of his name … it could have been "Johan". See link here or here ...

And for the "other guy": I assume you are talking about the "Norwegian"-Argentinian ornithologist Gunnar Høj (1901–1996).

If "Norwegian" (?) I think (!?) that´s the way his name ought to be spelled … as ø is the most common Norwegian use of ö (in other Non-Norwegian or Non-Danish texts, his name was, most often, written Hoy, or even Höj – the latter being the German alt. Swedish version of the same letter: ø).

Attached (as pdf) his Obituary, from El Hornero (although there with ö) or (here)

Eponyms are, as we now, sometimes a tricky business …

Cheers!

PS. Attached, a photo of Gunnar "Høj" … or however he, himself, spelled it.

Attachments

• 008_ElHornero_v020_n02_articulo197.pdf
    292.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Gunnar H... .jpg
    Gunnar H... .jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Piechocki 1999 reproduces some letters that Johann Ottow (an before him, his father) exchanged with Max Schönwetter. According to this reference, Johann was the son of Benno Ottow, born 1884 in Estonia and deceased 1975 in Stockholm. If I follow this track onto genealogical websites, this would seem to him as well (Otto vs. Ottow being an Estonian vs. German thing?). He would be born on 27 Jan 1913 in Tartu. He studied in Germany, but after the end of WW2 he followed his father who emigrated to Sweden, and settled there: initially Lidingö (this is what the letters quoted by Piechocki indicate, and the address given in Sick & Ottow, 1958), later Skellefteå (this is the address given at the end of Hoy & Ottow, 1964 [cited by Michael], and in Ottow & Duve, 1965 and Ottow & Verheijen, 1969).

Björn, you are the Scandinavian, but isn't "Høy" acceptable as a Norwegian name? Google translates "høy" from Norwegian as "high, tall, loud", thus it seems to be ok as a word.

As another scandinavian (kind of, if Denmark is included): google search for Gunnar Høj has a lot of Danish hits, while searching for Gunnar Høy gives both Danish and Norwegian hits (I looked through about 3 pages of results for each search). One of the results coming up with the last one was this genealogy which does not have anything to do with the above mentioned person but demonstrates the use of Høy as a last name: http://www.geni.com/people/Ellen-Høy/6000000001552920643

Niels

Well, I managed to find the article (see attached). Indeed the bird is named for Johann Ottow:
Ich nenne sie nach meinem Freund Dr. JOHANN OTTOW.
"I call it after my friend Dr. Johann Ottow."

Attachments

• Journal of Ornithology Volume 109 issue 2 1968 [doi 10.1007%2Fbf01671351] Gunnar Hoy -- Geositta ruf
    191 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I went to the library today, simply to return some books … and while there, having nothing else to do, for a while … here´s James's missing issues of Journal für Ornithologie (from Post No. #4, the one's not dealt with earlier this thread).

Turdus libonyanus costae RENSCH 1923 JfO 71, p. 99 — in: Rensch, B. 1923. Die Formenkreise Turdus libonyanus (A. Sm.) und Turdus olivaeeus L. Journal für Ornithologie 71 (1): 95-104. = No explicit dedication in OD … from what I can see!? (Also see earlier thread: Turdus libonyanus costae)

Rhipidura rufifrons mimosae MEISE 1929, JfO 77, 460 — in: Meise, W. 1929. Die Vögel yon Djampea und benachbarten Inseln nach einer Sammlung Baron Plessens. Journal für Ornithologie 77 (3): 431-480. = No explicit dedication … from what I can see!?

Phylloscopus sibilatrix ludmilae SNIGEREWSKI 1931, JfO 79, p. 61 — in: Snigerewski, S. 1931. Zur Verbreitung der Vögel im südlichen Ural-Gebirge und neue Unterarten aus dieser Gegend. Journal für Ornithologie 79 (1): 57-66. = No explicit dedication ... from what I can see!?

Tanysiptera galatea brunhildae JANY 1955, JfO 96, p. 104 — in: Jany, E. 1955. Neue Vogel-Formen yon den Nord-Molukken. Journal für Ornithologie 96 (1): 102-106. = No explicit dedication ... from what I can see!?

Hypochera lorenzi NICOLAI 1972, JfO 113, p. 236 — in: Nicolai, J. 1972. Zwei neue Hypochera-Arten aus West-Afrika (Ploceidae, Viduinae). Journal für Ornithologie 113 (3): 229-240; "Ich benenne sie zu Ehren meines Lehrers und väterlichen Freundes KONRAD LORENZ" = (Note: I assume!?) the World Famous Austrian zoologist, ethologist and ornithologist Konrad Lorenz (1903–1989), whose full name was Konrad Zacharias Lorenz – who shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Nikolaas Tinbergen and Karl von Frisch in 1973.

Excerpts attached!

Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• JfO 71 - I .jpg
    JfO 71 - I .jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 82
  • JfO 71 - II .jpg
    JfO 71 - II .jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 69
  • JfO 77 .jpg
    JfO 77 .jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 76
  • JfO 79 - I .jpg
    JfO 79 - I .jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 83
  • JfO 79 - II.jpg
    JfO 79 - II.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Assuming that J. Nicolai is Jürgen Nicolai, (* 24. Oktober 1925 in Neidenburg, Ostpreußen; † 29. März 2006 in Schortens), German ornithologis (who did travel to West Africa for research purposes)t, then I think you are correct since he was a student of `the' Konrad Lorenz.

Andrea

PS I cannot find any explicit dedications either.

Back-step ... and amendment!

I don't have access to the original, but it seems likely this is named for Johann Ottow, who coauthored this paper with Gunnar Höy.

I will have to back down on this one ... Michael "carmelbird" (and the Obituary in El Hornero by M. R. De la Peña, see my Post No. #23) was (as far as I understand it) perfectly right in their way of spelling his name! I was lead astray by the claim he was Norwegian ...

Mr. "Hoy" was [as well as in for example; the Yungas Screech Owl (Otus) Megascops hoyi KÖNIG & STRANECK 1989 a k a Hoy's Screech-owl or the subspecies Carduelis magellanica hoyi KÖNIG 1981] ... the Norwegian-German(-Swedish) ornithologist Gunnar Arthur Höy (1901–1996).

Although he was born in Norway (German father, Swedish mother), and by being "German" (on his fathers side) he was forced, after Germanys invasion 1940 into service for the Third Reich, leading to him being treated (and jailed) as a traitor after the end of WWII. Mr. Höy then emigrated to Argentina, where he became known as "Hoy" ... or as "The Grand Old Man of Argentinean Ornithology".

Thanks for putting me back on the right track!

And sorry if I caused any confusion ...

PS. Also (once again) see BHL.

Thanks to Björn for providing me with the full papers from JfO I am able to finalise two of my original queries from that journal. Sometimes we miss the wood for the trees! I have updated HBWAlive Key as follows:

costae ● L. costa, costae rib, side; " Untere Flügeldeckfedern und Körperseiten intensiver rostrot als bei allen anschliefsenden Formen" (Rensch 1923) (syn. Turdus libonyanus tropicalis).

mimosae Gr. μιμος mimos mimic, imitator; "Sehr ähnlich [Rhipidura rufifrons] celebensis" (Meise 1929) (subsp. Rhipidura dryas).

The fairly unknown Johann Ottow

Here´s another fairly unknown ornithologist, briefly mentioned by me in Post #23, Laurent in #24 and by Michael in Post #26 …

ottowi
● in the subspecies Geositta rufipennis ottowi ‘HOY’ (Höy) 1968
= the Baltic (i. e. Estonian, later Swedish) Medical doctor, ornithologist and oologist Johann Ottow (1913–1980), whose full name was Johann Christoph Ludwig Ottow (in the Family) a k a "Hansi".

He was born 9 February 1913 in the town Tartu (a k a Dorpat) in Estonia (at that time part of Russia) … he moved to Sweden in 1948, where he first practiced Medicine in Lidingö (just outside Stockholm), then during most of the 60's in Skellefteå (in northern Sweden) and after that he worked in a Medical laboratory … whenever he wasn´t studying eggs or brood parasitism in birds. He was a member of AOU (American Ornithologists' Union), DOG (Deutsche Ornithologen-Gesellschaft) and SOF (Sveriges ornitologiska förening/Swedish Ornitholgical Society). In Sweden he was apparently sometimes called "Johan" (the most common form here). And he died in the town of Skövde, also Sweden, the 17th November 1980.

That´s him!

PS. Quite different from what Beolens et al is claiming in the brand new Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014), isn´t it!?

Last edited:
Some small possible, additional info … on some names earlier discussed in this "old" thread.

aristeguietana
● in the subspecies Drymophila klagesi aristeguietana AVELEDO & PEREZ 1994
= the Venezuelan botanist, dendrologist and conservationist Leandro Aristeguieta (1923–2012), if (!?) Wikipedia is correct (here)

brangeri
● in the invalid Cymbilaimus lineatus brangeri AVELEDO & PEREZ 1991 [syn. Cymbilaimus l. lineatus LEACH 1814]
= the Venezuelan rancher, self-proclaimed conservationist (Don) Antonio Julio Branger (of Sagarzazu), landowner of Hato Piñero who banned hunting on his land (in the 1950's) and thereby created a haven for wildlife and birds. He probably died in 2003, but not later ....

Not to confuse with his brother Don Carlos Ramón Branger who died in December 2009.

See the following links; here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

Disclaimer; this said without much (close to no) knowledge of Spanish.

Take it for what it´s worth.
---

Last edited:
Mr. Ariteguieta: "... el pasado sábado 06 de Octubre en horas de la noche por un accidente cerebro vascular." . From December 2012 website Botanica en Venezuela.

brangeri
● in the invalid Cymbilaimus lineatus brangeri AVELEDO & PEREZ 1991 [syn. Cymbilaimus l. lineatus LEACH 1814]
= the Venezuelan rancher, self-proclaimed conservationist (Don) Antonio Julio Branger (of Sagarzazu), landowner of Hato Piñero who banned hunting on his land (in the 1950's) and thereby created a haven for wildlife and birds. He probably died in 2003, but not later ....

If correct here b. May 11, 1922. The key may need small enhancement. And of course not (of Sagarzazu) , but his mothers name from Teresa Sagarzazu.

Last edited:
If correct ...
If ... yes. If not. Who knows?

Here, or/alt. here (if it´s him? It´s all in Spanish!?), on p.59: "... Antonio Julio Branger ... Nacido en Valencia en 1925, ... ". Another history of Antonio Branger Sagarzazu; a "self-proclaim profile as a conservationist" is told here. Or here. He is also dealt with; here.

This guy I gladly leave to anyone who does understand Spanish. ;)

/B
--

Last edited:
I have a copy of this, but they do not explain. Some insight about meaning of варнак in Russian (initially "врнк") here.
Laurent, can you check the original spelling of the debated (invalid or valid?) subspecies Perisoreus infaustus tka...? SUSHKIN & STEGMANN 1829 (supposedly on p.396), simply as I've seen both "tkachenkoi" and "tkatchenkoi" being used ... !?

Either way, it seems to be commemorating the Russian forester Mikhail Elevferovich Tkachenko (18781950), who collected the type specimen in the vicinity of Yakutsk in 1926 (22 September).

Cheers!

Björn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back