• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adult Gulls - Camano Washington State USA (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
All seen last week during cold and dreary weather at a west side beach. The lighting was tricky, potentially altering the appearance / darkness of plumage.

The bill extension on the first gull is actually a shell the bird is holding.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6830.JPG
    IMG_6830.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6858 Gull.JPG
    IMG_6858 Gull.JPG
    945.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6874.JPG
    IMG_6874.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6929 Gull.JPG
    IMG_6929 Gull.JPG
    564.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6953 Gull.JPG
    IMG_6953 Gull.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7153 Gull.JPG
    IMG_7153 Gull.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7328 Gull.JPG
    IMG_7328 Gull.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
They use to wake me up in the mornings when I lived on Alkia Beach. ( I loved it. )

In West Port WA I had one come in my hotel room. They're huge.

The darker backed birds might be pure Western Gull, but all may be Olympic Gulls: Western x Glaucous-winged hybrids.

Fandango, that's indeed still a controversial ID matter with Glaucous-winged. While primary tips are clearly a bit darker than upperside (mantle) a few Gull people would consider this as in line with pure GLWG (e.g. Peter Adriaens, one of world's top gullers), others don't. You might call no 1 an 'almost pure' GLWG or just put it into the Olympic box, as most would. Fact is that most GLWG breeding on the Pacific south of Alaska (where no Western Gulls are) show on average slightly darker wingtips than those from Alaska and Kamtchatka. It's merely a matter of accepting these more southern breeders as pure or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back