• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

adult Yellow-legged Gull or perhaps LBB/YLG hybrid, Warks, UK (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Greetings. I press to being substandard at gulls and fear I may be overthinking this. But, anyway, attached bird I ID'ed as YLG in the field but felt its mantle was dark even by YLG standards (plus it's legs were very dull yellow). Is it perhaps a HG/LBB hybrid? And sorry for less than amazing pics. See also attached a snap of what again I have down as a second-winter YLG but second opinion welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN8560.jpg
    DSCN8560.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN8559.jpg
    DSCN8559.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN8554.jpg
    DSCN8554.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN8604.jpg
    DSCN8604.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 115

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
I'm 'substandard' at gulls too, but no-one else has answered, so giving it a go. First three pics, not sure why not just a graelsii LBB, with the other LBB an intermedius.

Pass on the last pic.

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Thanks Nutcracker for your response. In the field it looked appreciably paler than all the other LBBs, but still pretty dark even by YLG standards. If *all* the LBBs present there were indeed intermedius, then, well, perhaps that does complicate matters. Gulls are like bad car accidents: I don't want to look for fear I'll get myself into this kind of quagmire, but I can't stop myself from doing so!

Users who are viewing this thread