• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Adverts within threads (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
Try Firefox with adblock (y)
I use Firefox with AdBlock. But as this is a site I value a lot, I make a donation when I can. 'When I can' = 'When Paypal lets me'. I don't want to join Paypal, and sometimes it lets me donate from my credit card without joining, and sometimes it insists I join - no idea why - and I wait another year and try again. This is the only donation route BF allows. (In the same way, Wikipedia is the answer for 50% of my online searches, and I donate to them every year also.)
By the end of the week you will have an option not to see any ads.
To be fair, I don't imagine they would have much success at selling me stuff. I pretty well have all the stuff I need. I sometimes wonder about the value of advertising to companies in technical fields (cameras, binoculars in this case) selling expensive stuff to quite sophisticated consumers. When I do need stuff, I search around a lot, collect technical information, check reviews in places I trust, and get information from friends who have, or have tried the stuff.
The ads do help the running costs of the site if people click them, but trust me when I tell you it nowhere near covers the costs, shall we just leave it there.

I'd be interested to hear how the site meets its running costs. It's a massive site, and not so many of us make donations.

Users who are viewing this thread