• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice: eBird, Audubon, Bird ID apps (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I would like some advice about apps.

In my ideal world, I would like to use in the field Merlin Bird ID to identify birds. I would then like to share automatically the ID with eBird. Is this possible? I am not yet expert enough to use eBird only.

An app that seems to offer all-in-one ID, maps, and info is the Audubon app, which I like a lot in many ways. I think the Audubon maps are populated with eBird check-ins. When one posts an ID to the Audubon app, is the ID shared back to eBird?

Is there a way to make these apps work better together?

It is possible and easy to link Merlin and eBird but it only works one way. You can view your eBird life list in Merlin, but if you id a bird in Merlin you can't automatically add it to your eBird list you have to do that in the eBird app. Once added via eBird it will appear on your life list in Merlin.

Sorry can't comment on the Audubon app.

I would like some advice about apps.

In my ideal world, I would like to use in the field Merlin Bird ID to identify birds. I would then like to share automatically the ID with eBird. Is this possible? I am not yet expert enough to use eBird only.

An app that seems to offer all-in-one ID, maps, and info is the Audubon app, which I like a lot in many ways. I think the Audubon maps are populated with eBird check-ins. When one posts an ID to the Audubon app, is the ID shared back to eBird?

Is there a way to make these apps work better together?

Please be aware that Merlin is not the end all of bird id. The makers of the app states that the right choice might not be the top of the list, but if it is not, it is usually one of the next few. As such, any system that automatically transferred the top choice to the ebird app would not do as well as you choosing the best one of the options and entering it into your ebird app.

Niels

Please be aware that Merlin is not the end all of bird id. The makers of the app states that the right choice might not be the top of the list, but if it is not, it is usually one of the next few. As such, any system that automatically transferred the top choice to the ebird app would not do as well as you choosing the best one of the options and entering it into your ebird app.

Nothing beats learning to identify birds. Not sure it's even fair to call it birding, otherwise.

Gary H

Nothing beats learning to identify birds. Not sure it's even fair to call it birding, otherwise.

Gary H

Completely agree and when the likes of 'Merlin' can come up with Short-tailed Pipit when it is in fact a Starling as it did recently....................

Thanks to you all... agreed on Merlin... but I am just trying to do lists from the same app I use to confirm IDs.
Today I went birding for many hours, and actually I had a very good (better?) time with the Sibley app, for three reasons:

- The drawings are better than the photos at highlighting important characteristics.

- It's easy to get to a bird by typing the beginning of its name in the search bar, and once to a bird, I can see the drawings to confirm that I am right (I am still learning),

- and from the same place where I can confirm the ID, I can add the bird to my list!

So I am now using predominantly the Sibley app.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back