• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice first (and 'only') bino: Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 vs Opticron Traveller 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for all your excellent replies! I found the Zeiss in a nearby store, tried them, and I ordered a pair! They will arrive wednesday, so the wait has begun...

Trying it inside (and outside) the store, I was quite amazed at how nice it felt to view through these. I was also a bit annoyed by how fiddly I found the eye placement, a few times struggling to get a good view at all. But once aligned with eyes, it was really great! I do wear eyeglasses.

At this point, the store guys began running around, fearing that I was going to run off with their stuff (I was standing outside the store with the binos for several minutes, so I understand their worries!).

I decided I wouldn't get to properly assess my likings and dislikings within a few minutes, so I ordered a pair! I will try them out at home, but I expect that I will keep them!

As several of you commented; the 8x32s size will be easier to view through... but as I am NOT a birder or dedicated watcher of anything. I know that I never found myself dedicated enough to carry the old 8x42 porros that I own. With that in mind, I decided that I should prioritize the 8x25, and see if it is comfortable enough! Certainly I would bring along this 8x25 for casual walks, while with the 8x32, probably not so much.

I hope I can get comfortable to the kinda fiddly eye placement. I also think the non-symmetrical design made it a bit more difficult for me. I guess I need some practice. Hopefully the girlfriend will be able to grasp it quickly too.

Now, the next struggle is to explain to the girlfriend, why I felt the need to buy a 750€ pair of binoculars.. Buuut I just got a nice salery increase, so I consider it a self-gift ;)

Once I decide to keep it, I need to find (3D print) some good solutions for lens covers, and maybe a case and strap 🤔

Thanks for all your excellent replies! I found the Zeiss in a nearby store, tried them, and I ordered a pair! They will arrive wednesday, so the wait has begun...

Trying it inside (and outside) the store, I was quite amazed at how nice it felt to view through these. I was also a bit annoyed by how fiddly I found the eye placement, a few times struggling to get a good view at all. But once aligned with eyes, it was really great! I do wear eyeglasses.

At this point, the store guys began running around, fearing that I was going to run off with their stuff (I was standing outside the store with the binos for several minutes, so I understand their worries!).

I decided I wouldn't get to properly assess my likings and dislikings within a few minutes, so I ordered a pair! I will try them out at home, but I expect that I will keep them!

As several of you commented; the 8x32s size will be easier to view through... but as I am NOT a birder or dedicated watcher of anything. I know that I never found myself dedicated enough to carry the old 8x42 porros that I own. With that in mind, I decided that I should prioritize the 8x25, and see if it is comfortable enough! Certainly I would bring along this 8x25 for casual walks, while with the 8x32, probably not so much.

I hope I can get comfortable to the kinda fiddly eye placement. I also think the non-symmetrical design made it a bit more difficult for me. I guess I need some practice. Hopefully the girlfriend will be able to grasp it quickly too.

Now, the next struggle is to explain to the girlfriend, why I felt the need to buy a 750€ pair of binoculars.. Buuut I just got a nice salery increase, so I consider it a self-gift ;)

Once I decide to keep it, I need to find (3D print) some good solutions for lens covers, and maybe a case and strap 🤔
If you wear eyeglasses you will be happy with the Zeiss 8x25. It is a great binocular.

If looking for accessories (a more practical bag/case, objective and/or ocular caps etc.), have a look at the following thread:

I have tried to make a summary of the options at, I think, post 301. (Not yet updated with what was posted later on, but already quite extensive.) I also still have to add the bag that I have found myself recently...

I second this. Opticrons 34mm rainguard and objective lens covers work excellently without adding much bulk.

Attachments

• B6A698F1-FB7C-4364-BB63-6FAAC6C39D28.jpeg
    B6A698F1-FB7C-4364-BB63-6FAAC6C39D28.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • 32847C73-436D-4782-B210-AEC306E2836C.jpeg
    32847C73-436D-4782-B210-AEC306E2836C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 26CCE9E4-2CBF-4814-A4F9-597DEC5BE7E5.jpeg
    26CCE9E4-2CBF-4814-A4F9-597DEC5BE7E5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
My wife and I hike on a regular basis with distances ranging between 2 and 4 miles. She carries Zeiss FL 8x32 and I carry the Victory Pocket 8x25, both using RYO harnesses (in which case I hardly know that the binoculars are there). We are both avid birders. We both wear sunglasses to prevent progression of incipient cataracts. When we switch off for comparison, I find that I prefer the ease of acquiring the target with the 8x25s and think that the image is equivalent. When casually looking out of a window, or in a shaded area without glasses I prefer her FLs for the greater and more comfortable field of view. In the case of a vigorous hike with the desire to carry binoculars, I don't think you can beat the Victories.

George

The Opticron rain guard works very well. Zeiss oughta supply one... I dont use an objective cover on these.

Based on your comments it sounds like perhaps you dont use binos a lot. If you come here and read around a bit you'll be led to believe there's some inherent issue with eye placement on these (and several other binos). I get some folks do have it, but wonder how many have been talked into it, by reading rather than using/adapting. To qualify, I do wear eyeglasses, (for a few more months). I do not have an issue with eye placement with these or most any bino. Its suspected if you give them a real try (in use not the store), for awhile, you'll adapt just fine.

The single hinge seems awkward as it looks awkward initially. We're mostly accustomed to things being symmetrical. These aren't. In practice, the single hinge works just fine. They are to my mind a wee bit looser at the hinge than my bigger binos, but suspect Zeiss may set them up that way to facilitate folding up for pocket carry. They're meant to fold and deploy and fold, rather than adjust to your specifics and stay there. If I have that right, I imagine the double hinged pocket binos may fold up even more compactly, but require a bit more fiddling when you grab them and unfold to look.

The Opticrons are half the price of the Victory’s and in different size clssses. They’re both fine glasses. I would buy them both from a dealer who allows returns and decide what size and optics you prefer. Asking here will get you many biased opinions. Ultimately you need to decide which better suits your needs.

I second this. Opticrons 34mm rainguard and objective lens covers work excellently without adding much bulk.
Exactly what I am also using myself. My only complaint is that the bridge of the rainguard, between the two ocular ends, is a bit too stiff to easily fold completely: with the binoculars fully closed it gives some resistance. I should try tweaking it a bit, with some cut or so.

Exactly what I am also using myself. My only complaint is that the bridge of the rainguard, between the two ocular ends, is a bit too stiff to easily fold completely: with the binoculars fully closed it gives some resistance. I should try tweaking it a bit, with some cut or so.
My thoughts as well. I have been eyeing the new rainguard Swarovski has produced for their pocket CL series wondering if it would fit because it looks much more flexible. However I have yet to pull the trigger in ordering them to try out.

It’s funny how after hundreds of dollars have been invested in a single set of binoculars I find myself too stingy for another $20 more.

Thanks Tom. I'm looking forward to receiving my pair (the store only had the old demo model in stock, so I had to wait for a new one). I think I'll find myself liking them, but lets see with the eye placement!

And you're absolutely correct, I rarely even use or carry binoculars. This purchase is intended to 'get me into the game'.

And thanks George, that helps me to think it was the right choice to go for the Zeiss!

And Upland, unfortunately I found no carrier within 500km/land borders that carried both models - or any that carried the opticron 8x32 even. So, I'm betting on the Zeiss for now!
Also, the Opticron I could only get here for ~35% less than the Zeiss, so not "much" cheaper. (Still a significant sum though, I'd admit!)

About the rainguards, I own a 3D printer and am proficient in modelling on my own, so really I can make my own quite easily and nicely. I also saw someone in Troubadur's thread who also designed and printed his own lensguards/rainguards.
Heck, if we manage to find some excellent design for some rainguards, I do see an option for me to produce a bunch, and send them to interested people 🤔

About a nice case and/or strap though.. guess I'll have to try a bit and see what I may need

About the rainguards, I own a 3D printer and am proficient in modelling on my own, so really I can make my own quite easily and nicely. I also saw someone in Troubadur's thread who also designed and printed his own lensguards/rainguards.
Heck, if we manage to find some excellent design for some rainguards, I do see an option for me to produce a bunch, and send them to interested people 🤔

About a nice case and/or strap though.. guess I'll have to try a bit and see what I may need

Sounds fun! Keep us posted. :)

Regarding the case: it is probably best indeed to first see what you need or miss as a bag/case when using the binoculars, have a look at that other thread, and share what interesting solution you might find.

Enjoy the binoculars! They are great.

Hi guys!

So, I received the binocular a few days ago, and took it for a few walks... So, initial impressions are really good!

A few summary points:
  • what a nice view. My 8x25 Hawke monocular cannot provide this kind of 'nice', comfortable view.
  • compared to the 8x25 hawke endurance ED monocular, the Zeiss is brighter (but not massively so, maybe ~20% subjectively). The zeiss is a lot more stable. the zeiss grants a larger, nicer field of view, and just feels nicer to watch through. However, in terms of detail, I think I get nearly the same detail - if I can keep the monocular stable. (E.g. for identifying a bird, I really can do it with both, but the zeiss is more comfortable/easy)
  • The zeiss is a little fiddly to arrange nicely to the eye, even though I wear eyeglasses. You certainly need millimeter accuracy, and it takes me a couple seconds to align it nicely.

All in all, quite satisfied with it! Hopefully this will last me a lifetime!

PS I took the liberty to publish fazalmajid 's objective and eyepiece covers on Thingiverse, after I printed it for myself. It fits quite nicely, as can be seen on images!

I will try to design some covers myself, see what I can figure out... maybe some tethered types, as I've made for my monocular, as seen in the pictures below. Or maybe some flip-up types, if I can figure out how to design some of that type hmm

time to design and 3D print some!

Attachments

• 20210410_132547.jpg
    20210410_132547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210410_132602.jpg
    20210410_132602.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Hi guys!

So, I received the binocular a few days ago, and took it for a few walks... So, initial impressions are really good!

A few summary points:
  • what a nice view. My 8x25 Hawke monocular cannot provide this kind of 'nice', comfortable view.
  • compared to the 8x25 hawke endurance ED monocular, the Zeiss is brighter (but not massively so, maybe ~20% subjectively). The zeiss is a lot more stable. the zeiss grants a larger, nicer field of view, and just feels nicer to watch through. However, in terms of detail, I think I get nearly the same detail - if I can keep the monocular stable. (E.g. for identifying a bird, I really can do it with both, but the zeiss is more comfortable/easy)
  • The zeiss is a little fiddly to arrange nicely to the eye, even though I wear eyeglasses. You certainly need millimeter accuracy, and it takes me a couple seconds to align it nicely.

All in all, quite satisfied with it! Hopefully this will last me a lifetime!

PS I took the liberty to publish fazalmajid 's objective and eyepiece covers on Thingiverse, after I printed it for myself. It fits quite nicely, as can be seen on images!

I will try to design some covers myself, see what I can figure out... maybe some tethered types, as I've made for my monocular, as seen in the pictures below. Or maybe some flip-up types, if I can figure out how to design some of that type hmm

time to design and 3D print some!
I must say, I was skeptical of 3-D printed covers. But this is pretty darn creative!

If you want a pocketable binocular get the 8x25. If you want a full time birding binocular get the 8x32.
They are not even pocketable or indeed a viable proposition as a carry everywhere binocular, which is their whole point. That would require some thought being given to the accessories which make no sense at all either for secure transport in a pocket or a backpack or for practical use in the field. You can't, for example, use the case with the strap fitted and you can only wear the case on your belt which is fine if you never sit down. Then there is the rain guard issue. A soft unpadded sleeve which will take a strap and a rubber rain guard and which has some rigidity at the objective end to protect the glass is all that a reasonably careful user needs.

You have to be willing to accept the inevitable optical compromises in order to have the compactness of the smaller binocular.

The laws of the physics of light are not suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back