• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice need please re. eye strain with Monarch 7 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Can I ask, is the 8x30CL with the "optical box" as forgiving when it comes to eye placement as a 8x32?

The CL eyecups are shorter and narrower than the 32 ELs. I have a very hard time getting a good sight picture with the CL but the EL fits me perfect. Really like the CL but like all other 8x30s I’ve tried or have owned they are too small for my face and I spend lots of time fiddling with them and not enjoying the view. Not what I want out of binos. They do seem to work for lots of others though so you should try a pair if they are of interest.

SueG; Are you in an area that birders frequent? You might ask someone who has handled different binoculars their opinion as to the apparent problem with the binoculars or the operator. Regards, Pat

This is good advice right there. If you're in Herts there are probably also knowledgeable birding shops not far from you that would be able to check your binos and advise you on how best to set them up. I've visited the In Focus shop at Willow Farm/London Colney and found the staff knowledgeable and helpful. They will also have a selection of new and secondhand binoculars which you might find interesting to try alongside your current pair (they've set up a couple of bird feeders in a tree outside the entrance that serve very well as a target).

Good luck and enjoy your birding!

This is good advice right there. If you're in Herts there are probably also knowledgeable birding shops not far from you that would be able to check your binos and advise you on how best to set them up. I've visited the In Focus shop at Willow Farm/London Colney and found the staff knowledgeable and helpful. They will also have a selection of new and secondhand binoculars which you might find interesting to try alongside your current pair (they've set up a couple of bird feeders in a tree outside the entrance that serve very well as a target).

Good luck and enjoy your birding!

Many thanks for your suggestion. I'm actually in Herefordshire and not Hertfordshire but the two are frequently confused. Herefordshire is quite a rural area, I'm not aware of any known popular birding sites but thank you.

I'm aware that the M7 8x30 that were causing me eye strain and prompted my post on here were purchased from a branch of the London Camera Exchange store rather than online. I've had then for just over a week and only tried them a few times for a couple of minutes each time due to them causing the eye strain. I'm obviously going to have to try and return them to the store but does anyone have any thoughts as to how receptive I'm likely to find them with regards to either an exchange or refund as looking around the store at the time I saw a bit of a limited stock on display so I'm aware they may not have a suitable pair (eg Swarovski's) in stock for me to try. I tried to look up the returns policy but LCE but it only showed it for online purchases. Many thanks Sue

I have found LCE to be very good over many decades.

I purchased some items from the Hereford branch I think and the manager was very helpful maybe two years ago?

But I don't know how things are at the moment.
Wales is lockdowned but not neighbours.

Personally, I think that your M7 may be out of collimation.
Stock levels might be low at the moment, but they may have a first class secondhand binocular or two to try.
It takes about two days to get items from other branches.

I have used most branches over the years.
Only one, further west to you, was not good.

Regards,
B.

I'm obviously going to have to try and return them to the store but does anyone have any thoughts as to how receptive I'm likely to find them with regards to either an exchange or refund as looking around the store at the time I saw a bit of a limited stock on display so I'm aware they may not have a suitable pair (eg Swarovski's) in stock for me to try.
Maybe show them this thread and suggest there's an opportunity for some good publicity ;)
PS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUQpoyfbWJ0

Last edited:
Just return them for another one in collimation then see if they suit you. The views are not going to get better no matter how much more you look through/adjust them.

Andy W.

I have found LCE to be very good over many decades.

I purchased some items from the Hereford branch I think and the manager was very helpful maybe two years ago?

But I don't know how things are at the moment.
Wales is lockdowned but not neighbours.

Personally, I think that your M7 may be out of collimation.
Stock levels might be low at the moment, but they may have a first class secondhand binocular or two to try.
It takes about two days to get items from other branches.

I have used most branches over the years.
Only one, further west to you, was not good.

Regards,
B.

That's helpful thank you.

Many thanks for your suggestion. I'm actually in Herefordshire and not Hertfordshire but the two are frequently confused. Herefordshire is quite a rural area, I'm not aware of any known popular birding sites but thank you.

I'm very very sorry for the mix-up - please accept my apologies!

I've only dealt with the LCE London branch, but I'd have thought your branch should be fine re returns - it's most unlikely they'll think you are trying it on.

It may be possible to ask your branch to have binoculars sent up from other branches, maybe if you put down say a £20 deposit redeemable upon purchase. LCE have a fair number of smaller/lighter binoculars at other branches right now. The 8x30 Conquest currently at their Exeter branch, in particular, might be worth a try as might the 8x33 Minox. If you only need reading glasses (ie. you don't require glasses when you're outdoors, for instance when you're driving), one of the 8x30 Jenoptems or the Russian 8x30 (Komz) may be worth looking at too.

Last edited:
Pertinent side note, interestingly you are not alone with eye stain/ discomfort using the Monarch 7 8x30. In the bino bargain thread someone just recently posted about Headaches with Monarch 7 8x30s..........

I have not waded through all of the posts, but what has helped me in the past is to get a another similar set from a different brand and try them out side by side. Usually the differences and deficiencies stand out pretty quickly. Just went through that myself with a 8x42 category. Ended up saving money and getting what are going to me my long term binos. In addition, I have no "what about....." questions in my mind.

my $0.02

Pertinent side note, interestingly you are not alone with eye stain/ discomfort using the Monarch 7 8x30. In the bino bargain thread someone just recently posted about Headaches with Monarch 7 8x30s..........

I have not waded through all of the posts, but what has helped me in the past is to get a another similar set from a different brand and try them out side by side. Usually the differences and deficiencies stand out pretty quickly. Just went through that myself with a 8x42 category. Ended up saving money and getting what are going to me my long term binos. In addition, I have no "what about....." questions in my mind.

my $0.02

That's really helpful thank you. I found the message you mentioned on the binoculars bargain thread. Very interesting (and reassuring) that someone else has experienced eye strain problems with the M7 8x30

no prob. here is the link of a lengthy post I wrote of differences i found during my comparison of 3 8x42 bions. Helped me pick. May be of value to go through the different traits of the M7 to better identify the source of the stain. It could be 1 or more items (mutli-factorial).

Or if you get a second pair to use it to go through the key aspects in a structured way. In the end of the post I summarized my findings and explained how it helped me choose.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=395876

no prob. here is the link of a lengthy post I wrote of differences i found during my comparison of 3 8x42 bions. Helped me pick. May be of value to go through the different traits of the M7 to better identify the source of the stain. It could be 1 or more items (mutli-factorial).

Or if you get a second pair to use it to go through the key aspects in a structured way. In the end of the post I summarized my findings and explained how it helped me choose.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=395876

That was interesting to read thank you

I took back the M 7's to my local branch (Hereford) of London Camera Exchange where I bought them from and they were helpful and really good about giving me a refund once I'd explained the issues I was having. I just have to try and decide now what to go for!

Pity the M7 didn't work out but great to see LCE responded so well to the issue :clap:
So seems the two main issues identified were insufficient extension on the eyecups (which contributed to blackouts/shake) and a view which caused strain. Wondering if the Ranger County you've used which were perhaps less problematic are a little 10x25 roof prism model (all I could find on Google)? If so maybe shouldn't rule out a 10x model just yet.

LCE stock Opticron so maybe these models could go on the shortlist to try there?
https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/traveller-bga-ed-binoculars

Pity the M7 didn't work out but great to see LCE responded so well to the issue :clap:
So seems the two main issues identified were insufficient extension on the eyecups (which contributed to blackouts/shake) and a view which caused strain. Wondering if the Ranger County you've used which were perhaps less problematic are a little 10x25 roof prism model (all I could find on Google)? If so maybe shouldn't rule out a 10x model just yet.

LCE stock Opticron so maybe these models could go on the shortlist to try there?
https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/traveller-bga-ed-binoculars

The ones I had were 8x30 but I also tried to look them up on google with no luck.
Thanks for the link

I would just like to thank everyone for being so welcoming with their helpful advice on which binoculars to go for. I decided to go for the Swarovski 8x30CL following recommendations that they would offer a more forgiving eye placement. I ordered them from LCE and they arrived very quickly. I tried them out today for the first time and I'm so pleased with them. I found them to have very sharp easy focus with very easy eye placement and more importantly no eye strain. I couldn't be happier. Thank you all once again Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back