• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed - disturbed Blackbird nest (1 Viewer)

Emmeo

Hi I have just joined today hoping for some advice please. I had workmen in to take down a giant Elder bush in my garden today. They found a blackbirds nest inside the bush with five well grown baby birds who are not fully feathered. I feel terrible because I had seen the blackbird and looked for the nest but could not see it. The men were lovely, they phoned the RSPCA (or RSPB) and were told they could carefully move the nest to a nearby place and the adult bird would find it. They did this really gently, and hollowed out a place in a very bushy clematis by my back door. It is very near where the nest was originally (about 8 feet) I have seen the adult hanging around, but it seems very distressed because the bush is gone. I have not seen it go where the nest now is, although I am leaving the garden in peace. How long should I wait before I try to get help for them if the adults don't find them? Is it likely that they will find them? We tried to pick the best place away from predators.
Thanks

Hi Emmeo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Oh dear... very difficult this. I'm afraid you may just have to trust to luck. If the nestlings don't have feathers it's extremely difficult to rear them. It will be the calls when the young are hungry that attract the adults, but it's also what attracts the predators.

We do have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds which you may find useful. BTW it would be the RSPCA that would advise in these cases, not the RSPB.

You could try putting some bird food fairly near the nest in the hope the adults see the nest, but if the young aren't brooded soon, they're going to get cold.

Please let us know how you get on - I think there's a few rehabbers in Surrey. Here's the Google Results: https://www.google.com/search?q=wildlife+rehab,+surrey&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8. Wildlife Aid is the one everyone has heard of as they had a television series; worth a call to them.

Unfortunate this, but it is why hedge trimming etc should be left for the winter months, or at least not done between March and September, I believe it's covered in the Wildlife and Countryside act?

Hi, they have got feathers, just not all of them.
I am thankful to say that the parent bird has been going in and out with food, so it looks like they have found them. They are all alive this morning.
Have been awake half the night worrying about them. Now one has got out of the nest which is something else to worry about...but I will leave things alone now!

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

It is an offence under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act to interfere with a nest. I am surprised the RSPCA advised the workmen to move it. It is lucky that the parents have found the nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back