• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on nestbox spacing (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I am in the California Bay Area. In my garden I have two live oaks, and some other trees; the bird population consists of oak titmouse, chestnut-backed chickadees, some finches, titbushes (on the trees and also in the brushes), and on the ground, dark-eyed juncos and california towhee.

I have put up a next box up below a high roof eave, and an oak titmouse proudly took residence in it.

I am wondering whether to put up another nestbox on an oak tree, in the hope that a chickadee might decide to nest there. The second nestbox would be about 40 ft (12m) from the main one. My main fear is that the oak titmouse will see it as competition and move on. I would really like to avoid losing the oak titmouse nesting in it.

Does anyone have advice?

Many thanks! --Luca

You may be right to be concerned...
I don't know about the ecological needs of the species you have in California, but over here there has been quite a lot of research on two other members of the chickadee family, blue and great tits, which are territorial when nesting. I recall reading one paper which looked at nest box spacing in woodland and found closer boxes - if occupied by either species - had lower chick survival rates / lower chick weights. I think the optimum distance was about 60m apart.
So assuming your species are territorial, and assuming there is some degree of inter-specific competition between them, you may indeed find that another nest box isn't a good idea. But bear in mind that although related species, the research was carried out on a different continent, in different habitats.

Last edited:
It appears the (male?) titmouse has attracted a (female?) one... so I am going to play it low risk and not attach another box. The one they have for themselves is very well placed, in a place inaccessible to predators / squirrels, so I will wait to see how this goes and not make any change. The fun part is that I can see it fairly easily from the desk where I work!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back