• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on putting out dog fur (1 Viewer)

Markulous

The last few years we've put out bird feeders stuffed with the product of our Huskies moulting (soft undercoat). Someone has suggested that it was bad practice as "Dangerous as the babies get tangled in it and can't reach up to beg for food". I know about the dangers of flea medication but never heard of entanglement. Can anyone offer suggestions/advice?

Attachments

• _MG_5834.jpg
    _MG_5834.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 12
When I used to have a dog and groomed it I would hang the fur on the clothesline with a clothespin.

The birds would avail themselves of the fur and take it into one of my bird boxes. All were successful in raising the baby birds so I don't believe it would be a problem. Bear in mind though that my dog was a short haired dog so I can't say what would happen with long haired dog hair.

Thanks for reply. I guess we'll continue unless we hear anything that suggests we shouldn't - I'm pretty confident that it's not a major problem (if it is at all, that is!)

I imagine man-made fibres would be a big no-no. Polysters, infill from cushions etc etc chance of trapping legs/not good for ingesting. Wool, fur and feathers etc have all been used by birds through the generations.

Could always try chopping it up into shorter pieces if in doubt.

Last edited:
I would suggest great haste and the use of either a blanket, bucket of sand, or water, depending on which is closest at hand, in order to put out fur. Certainly your dog will appreciate all the speed you can muster.

In googling for more helpful advice, I thought this might be of use so I will quote it here:
"If your hair catches on fire, it will singe, not burn," Amit Abraham, Master Stylist at Dop Dop Salon in New York City says. "Your best bet is to go and see your stylist immediately. Do not, I repeat, do not try to fix the damage yourself. You risk the chance of making it worse and suffering for a lot longer."

:)

In all seriousness I think this is a situation where you can trust that the prospective parents will know what materials are apt for a nest and what materials are not. House Finches are known to incorporate cigarette butts in their nests and there is evidence / belief that they lend an anti-parasite benefit to the nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back