• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice Please: Tripod/Locking plate (1 Viewer)

John Nihon

My problems:

1) I fix my camera to my tripod and use in landscape normally. :) This is generally manageable however, adjustment and precision placement are never quick and smooth though. :(

2) I've begun to want to use my camera attached to my tripod in portrait however, I have got what I deem as camera droop. :oops: With a large lens attached the camera/lens droops down due to the weight of the lens and I can never get it fixed in the position I want, mainly to focus portrait, close up, on the whole of a bird feeder. :rolleyes: I tighten all joints on the tripod so they are nice and tight but I'm nervous about tightening the butterfly screw on the camera plate too much. I don't want to overtighten just in case I do some damage. :cautious:

What I'd like is a setup that I can quickly, smoothly and precisely adjust in both landscape and portrait and that also stops camera/lens droop in portrait. Any help would be great please. :D

PS. Preferable options if I need to make purchases to resolve my issues would be something that is available in either the UK or Japan. :geek:

:coffee::unsure:

Really need more information. What is your budget, and what do you consider to be a large lens?
Many thanks for your reply jmepler.

Budget: Depends on what is needed to meet my requirements (as per my previous post). All options and prices taken into consideration. Obviously nothing flimsy and easily damaged but then again doesn't have to be gold plated. Sturdy and Flexible and able to hold my camera/lens in portrait (without droop) as well as landscape.

Lens: Currently I'm using an 80-400mm lens on my camera, which when attached to my current tripod in portrait droops/dips down at the front due to the weight and design of my current tripod/camera plate setup. I should say that my current setup (camera/lens/tripod) is fine (no droop problems) when using in landscape, although not quick, smooth and easy to precisely adjust. At some future point I may well want to add larger lenses to my collection. So something to take that into account as well.

Hope I've been clear but if not please let me know.

All suggestions welcome! :)

Hi John,

Lens: Currently I'm using an 80-400mm lens on my camera, which when attached to my current tripod in portrait droops/dips down at the front due to the weight and design of my current tripod/camera plate setup. I should say that my current setup (camera/lens/tripod) is fine (no droop problems) when using in landscape, although not quick, smooth and easy to precisely adjust. At some future point I may well want to add larger lenses to my collection.

Normally, big lenses tend to have their own tripod adapters mounted on a lens collar, so that the camera body hangs on the lens rather than vice versa.

Here's an example for a retrofitted lens collar:

Regards,

Henning

Hi John,

Normally, big lenses tend to have their own tripod adapters mounted on a lens collar, so that the camera body hangs on the lens rather than vice versa.

Here's an example for a retrofitted lens collar:

Regards,

Henning
Well, how embarrassing :oops: I'm just going to crawl into my hole and put the cover on, wake me up when you notice any intelligence from me sprouting. :rolleyes:

Did what you said and immediate portrait problem resolved. Thank you ever, ever, EVER so MUCH Henning !! :D

Still open to any recommendations for good sturdy, smooth, precise, easy quick adjustable tripods.

I was going to point out the same thing. Glad you have it all sorted, and at no cost. This should help your balance in landscape as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back