• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice re:tripod/gumbal head for Nikon p900 (1 Viewer)

harshsec

Some advice from the group if possible please?
Looking to use the Nikon P900 with a Velbon DV-7000 Video Tripod. I know it has a quick release plate but also looking to add a gumbal head with quick release plate. Is this an unnecessary addition or will it enhance the use of the camera?

I use a Velbon Carmagne carbon fibre tripod and a Manfrotto 701RC2 video head.
I like the head as it has a balancing slide so you can balance a telescope or a camera with a long lens.
Both these are rather old but you'll get the idea.
I tied a ball head once - waste of time for me.

A quick release(QR) plate is a godsend when you want to switch from scope to camera in a hurry. So it is well worth getting.
The glitch of course is that while almost all cameras and tripods use a standard 1/4" screw thread fitting, QR specs are all over the lot and mutually incompatible between models. The onus is on the unsuspecting user to buy the appropriate plate. That is not straightforward, I can't even find a reasonably priced plate that fits both ball head and fluid head for my monopod and tripod respectively.
So there are no obvious recommendations, just that Arca Swiss is one of the most widely compatible designs, but not cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back