• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice sought re gardening and nest sites (1 Viewer)

ormulum

Hi

I'm trying to clear an infestation of montrbetia from the beds in my garden with a view to replanting with bee/butterlfy friendly plants and flowers. I'm partway through the job and need to tackle two areas either side of an ornamental shrub, next. However, I noticed a female blackbird collecting the debris I had left behind from earlier gardening. She then flew into the back of the shrub where I presume she was building a nest.

This has raised a couple of questions and I was wondering if more experienced birders here (I'm new!) could clarify where gardeners stand with regards to this. UK law states that a "live" nest should not be touched or damaged. I have not interfered with the shrub at all and have no intention of pruning it but does digging around the shrub still constitute disturbing a "live" nest?

The nest does not appear to be visted at all today. In fact I had a quick look and it only seems to be in the early stages of construction. So, I don't knowwhether the blackbirds have changed their minds and decided to nest elsewhere. At what point can you consider a nest to be abandoned?

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back