• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice wanted: birding southern Brazil and the Pantanal (1 Viewer)

cranefan

Hi all,

I’m planning a trip with two friends to Brazil in July. We’re all going to visit the Pantanal and Rio, but while they’re keen to see the big stuff, they’re not birders.

Having never visited South America, I think I’d find it excruciating to just do general tours and miss hundreds of bird species. So I’m thinking of going a week early and doing some birding with Cuiabá as my starting point. I’m particularly keen to see some wetlands and cerrado species.

As I’m totally new to Brazil and don’t speak Portuguese, ideally I’d get myself a guide for that week, but organised tours are prohibitively expensive. I’d love to hear thoughts on whether it’s doable to engage a local bird guide and stay in simple lodgings for a week - and if so, recommendations would be wonderful!

Thank you!

Hotel Fazenda Santa Tereza could be good we stayed here a few years ago. They picked us up from Cuiaba airport when we missed our arranged tarsnport. They spoke english and arranged game drives and guides if your needed them.​

It is right on the Paixam river and very close to the Transpantanal highway with good birding and wildlife spots.​

I only know Iguazu area. Brazilian site is ideal for panoramic view.
For bird watching I would prefer areas in Argentina.
This areas you can visit easy at your own steam.
Some days I followed Gay Cox and I also visited Karadya.
For translation you can use deepl.com and so on.
For European languages translation programs very reliable.
Problem is Chinese and much more Japanese.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back