AE Lock Problem with 1D MkIIN

QuantumTiger

Hi all

Just had my 1DMkIIN looked at by Canon because the AE lock kept engaging of its own accord and refusing to turn off (even turning the camera off and taking the battery out wouldn't clear it). They have replaced the rear button assembly, cleaned the camera and returned it charging me £100 for the privilige - but it still seems to me to be behaving oddly. I wondered if any MkIIN owners out there could tell me if the following is usual behaviour.

I'm in Av mode and AEB is not activated. Custom function 4 is set to default (0 - AF/AE Lock). No personal functions are set.

1) If I press the AE lock button once (*) it locks the shutter speed as expected, however, if I recompose and press the AE button again the shutter speed does not change even if I have moved to a significantly darker/lighter composition.
2) Having engaged AE lock I can't find any way to disengage it other than waiting six seconds for the camera to clear itself down. Even if I take a picture AE Lock stays engaged with the * showing in the viewfinder
3) Whilst AE lock is engaged none of the other camera buttons work other than the shutter (ie I cannot change mode, AF, Drive, ISO or select any menu functions).

To be honest I can live with the third item but the first two are really annoying. Certainly with my 20D recomposing and pressing AE lock again changed the exposure settings, and taking a shot cleared the AE lock. Anyone any thoughts? Am I being thick (very likely!) or should I return it to canon and respectfully ask them to test it before returning it as fixed?

Ian

Last edited:

Highcountry

Hi all

Just had my 1DMkIIN looked at by Canon because the AE lock kept engaging of its own accord and refusing to turn off (even turning the camera off and taking the battery out wouldn't clear it). They have replaced the rear button assembly, cleaned the camera and returned it charging me £100 for the privilige - but it still seems to me to be behaving oddly. I wondered if any MkIIN owners out there could tell me if the following is usual behaviour.

I'm in Av mode and AEB is not activated. Custom function 4 is set to default (0 - AF/AE Lock). No personal functions are set.

1) If I press the AE lock button once (*) it locks the shutter speed as expected, however, if I recompose and press the AE button again the shutter speed does not change even if I have moved to a significantly darker/lighter composition.
2) Having engaged AE lock I can't find any way to disengage it other than waiting six seconds for the camera to clear itself down. Even if I take a picture AE Lock stays engaged with the * showing in the viewfinder
3) Whilst AE lock is engaged none of the other camera buttons work other than the shutter (ie I cannot change mode, AF, Drive, ISO or select any menu functions).

To be honest I can live with the third item but the first two are really annoying. Certainly with my 20D recomposing and pressing AE lock again changed the exposure settings, and taking a shot cleared the AE lock. Anyone any thoughts? Am I being thick (very likely!) or should I return it to canon and respectfully ask them to test it before returning it as fixed?

Ian

Ian, I can't see that you are doing anything wrong. I checked my 1Ds2 with the same settings as yours and I can change exposure lock without issue. You might try resetting all your custom settings back to default then try it again. If it still refuses to work, then Canon needs to fix your camera.

Good luck

QuantumTiger

Ian, I can't see that you are doing anything wrong. I checked my 1Ds2 with the same settings as yours and I can change exposure lock without issue. You might try resetting all your custom settings back to default then try it again. If it still refuses to work, then Canon needs to fix your camera.
Thanks John. As I suspected.

Having said that it's been fine today, so it was either a glitch yesterday which is fine or an intermittant fault which is a pain seeing as it started out as an intermittant problem that gradually got worse to the point of being pratically unusable. Anyway. Seems like Canon put a six month guarantee on the repair so I've got a bit of time to test it out!