• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Aethopyga saturata johnsi Robinson & Kloss, 1919 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Aethopyga saturata johnsi Robinson & Kloss, 1919 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

John Francis Johns (1885–at least 1967), was a Student Interpreter in Siam (Thailand) (1907), Vice-Consul (1915) then Consul (1921) Senggora District, Thailand, Acting British Consul, Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Vietnam (1919) and Consul-General and Chargé d'Affairs, Bangkok,, (1924–1932), retiring on grounds of ill-health. He gave assistance to Kloss (q.v.) during the latter's visit to Saigon. An amphibian is also named after him.

The old key:
John Francis Johns (b. 1885) British diplomat, Consul in Saigon, Cochin China 1919, Consul-Gen. in Bangkok, Thailand 1924-1932 (subsp. Aethopyga saturata).

When he died is still an open question.

P.S. Rana johnsi Smith, 1921 here

Björn Bergenholtz

... earlier a k a "Calalp"
I also gave "John Francis Johns, Esq, His Majestys Consul-General at Bangkok" a quick try ...

And, now, suddenly, maybe this post might be a bit superfluous (as most of what I could find seems to match what's already have been found, or shown, earlier, like; here, here or here), even more so as Paul, meanwhile, seems to have found the last missing piece of "our guy". (y)

However, the only additional piece/s that I did find is/was details of the "CMG " part, of 1931 [(by Chancery) Companion of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, from 3 June 1931]: "Consul-General at Bangkok" (here).

... and a Wife!

According to a Marriage note (attached), published twice in the Newspaper Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (11th and 12th of January 1922):, John Francis Johns married (on the 10th of December 1921) a Nora Lettice Liddle, Daughter of Mr. and Mrs Gordon Liddle, Anerley, S. E.

Paul, does this match the guy (and CMG) that you clearly have found (that passed in 1967)?

It sure looks like it. Or?

Björn

PS. If he's equal of the "Temporary Lieutenant John Francis Johns, R.N.V.R."* (in/of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve) in 1944 I cannot tell, though I somewhat doubt it ... but who knows? Either way; he's certainly not to confuse with his namesake John Francis Johns, doctor of medicine, in Southampton (in 1895). :rolleyes:

PPS. Even if Beolens et al. (2014) did write one of his many titles as "Chargé d'Affairs" I'm pretty sure a more proper spelling would have been "Chargé d'Affaires" (even if, of course; 'same, same, but different', in Bangkok).

For what it's worth.

/B

[*mentioned here, on p.2601 (alt. on p.37, of 89, in the digitized version), and please, ignore the yellow parts at the very start of it; not done by me]

Attachments

• JOHNS & LIDDLE, .jpg
    JOHNS & LIDDLE, .jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 3

PScofield

Yeap thats the one (see attached).

The Order of Saint Michael and Saint George is commonly given to senior civil servants.

Whilst the different levels have their own official abbreviations their seniority can be remembered as:

CMG = Call me God
KCMG = Kindly call me God
GCMG = God calls me god

Johns was in good company James Bond got a the CMG in 1953.

P

Attachments

• JFJ.JPG
    JFJ.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread