• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AF fine tune (1 Viewer)

Usually, the crop factor is what the standard sensor size is for a DX ( crop ) camera. Crop mode, is usually an option to change the factor in some cameras

Some full frame cameras have a crop mode in the menu, not just DX cameras

Is the a difference in terminology between crop factor and crop mode?
In Nikon terminology FX is Full Frame as in very close to the old 35mm film size which was 36mmx24mm. In the early days of Digital cameras (not that long ago BTW) sensors were harder to make and the manufacturers made a smaller sensor more cost effectively at approximately 24mm x 16mm these in Nikon terms are the DX sensors. 36 divided by 24 is 1.5 so that is the crop factor. What this means in lenses is that a 300mm lens on an FX is 300mm, but a 300mm on a DX is the equivalent of 300mmx1.5=450mm.

Sensor Sizes.

Just to clarify what Mike posted, its the angle of view that is ' cropped ' in DX cameras. Hence the name CROP compared to FULL FRAME. You do not magically get an extra focal length of 450mm on a 1.5x crop factor. It just appears that way because the DX camera has cropped the angle of view from what a full frame camera will see. A 300mm lens is a 300mm lens on any camera. We cannot defy the laws of physics. The only way to increase focal length is by using a Teleconverter, or a longer lens.

Birders love DX ( crop ) cameras because it appears you see more of your subject.

I use crop 1.3 already but today I have taken a number of excellent shots( for me) and I am so happy, so thought I would say a massive thanks to you all as u can see u have made me a much better photographer with ur guidance and kindness .. For now I will play with the 3 main settings and see what I can get, then will come back another time to ask you how to improve even more, such as EV etc. For now I am so happy with the results I am getting and again cannot thank you enough for all ur help.
Just a couple for u to peruse and critique for me.. cheers.
Well done, shrek...a great set of images but...image 8281 is super sharp.

DX mode is the standard 1.5x for Nikon Crop cameras. 1.3x crop mode is an option in the menu.
DX is the physical size of the sensor (~ 70% of a full frame 24mmx36mm sensor for the Nikon DX models).
Back in the day crop mode was called "digital zoom", i.e. the camera only stores a central part of the frame taken by the sensor.
Essentially automatic in-camera cropping that would be otherwise done in post processing. Nothing gained other than a smaller file size stored on the memory card.

DX is the physical size of the sensor (~ 70% of a full frame 24mmx36mm sensor for the Nikon DX models).
Back in the day crop mode was called "digital zoom", i.e. the camera only stores a central part of the frame taken by the sensor.
Essentially automatic in-camera cropping that would be otherwise done in post processing. Nothing gained other than a smaller file size stored on the memory card.
With other cameras, the reported advantage is that focusing becomes more precise. I have not tested as I have not used crop mode.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back