• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Afghanistan (2 Viewers)

This really is one of the best patch pages on Bird Forum. Much respect for you continuing to bird under difficult circumstances. Someone really ought to pass on the link to the likes of Birdwatch Magazine to highlight this and your 'blog'. Puts 'Birding around Derbyshire' blogs clearly in the shade. Keep up the good work on both counts.

This really is one of the best patch pages on Bird Forum. Much respect for you continuing to bird under difficult circumstances. Someone really ought to pass on the link to the likes of Birdwatch Magazine to highlight this and your 'blog'. Puts 'Birding around Derbyshire' blogs clearly in the shade. Keep up the good work on both counts.

Thanks mate. I originally come Manchester so used to difficult situations. My brother lives on Lower Hartshay - anywhere near you?

Rich

Thanks guys. Things are drying up quite literally and I'm going to have to do what my wife has told me not to do and misbehave and go looking for them more often.

So - Essential Kit for a Helmand Twitch (in order or priority):

Old Bausch and Lomb Elite 10x 42 Binoculars
Birds of the Middle East Field Guide
SA 80 Rifle
Sig Saur P226 Pistol
150 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition
30 rounds of 9mm ammunition
Mark 7 Combat Helmet
Osprey Body Armour (weighs 15kg alone)
Pelvic Protection
Ballistic Eye Protection
First Aid Kit (in two pouches)
Webbing (Belt Kit)
Day sack (incl sleeping bag, 24 hour rations, spare kit)
Hammock (just in case)
Note Book

Last edited:
I had to laugh when I read your Essential Kit list.

But then I thought "wear it in good health." And thank you...for your posts and for your service.

JH

Seek and thy shalt find

A quick wander within the wire this morning. 1 male Pied Stonechat holding territory, numerous Laughing Doves and Crested Larks, 4 indignant looking Crowned Sandgrouse and surprisingly, a Little-ringed Plover.

Darter Dragonflies hawking over a grey water stream provided a sight usually associated with home.

Another walk within the wire came up trumps with three overflying Roller, half a dozen Crowned Sandgrouse and 3 (1 male) Pin-tailed Sandgrouse. The latter was a lifer so quids in really. Must do this more often.

A single Black-winged Stilt and several Wood Sandpipers today. Swallows moving south and now two resident Common Mynas. Apart from that it is bloody boiling!!

Last edited:
Another Afghan lifer with a first year Lesser Sand Plover through this morning; on a pond with a mixed bag of 30+ Green and Wood Sandpipers.

A selection of my bird photos has now been posted on Flikr. See the link below. More to follow - a disk is winging its way back to the UK to be uploaded as bandwidth prohibits this in the desert. Rather surprising really! http://www.flickr.com/photos/armybirding/sets/72157630058039992/ Rich

Rich,
I've just caught up with your BF postings after several weeks on the Continent and I'll be in touch once again soon via RD. He's forwarded your records. Like your flickr pix.
MJB
PS Got good pics of Barred Warbler this time!

Swallows are now returning south - I suspect failed breeders. Crowned Sandgrouse appearing more and the odd Green and Wood Sandpiper still around in the wet areas

A quiet couple of days with just one Black-winged Stilt and a Green Sandpiper of note. Still plenty of Swallows around and the odd Crowned Sandgrouse but we really are getting to the hot part of the year where everything either departs or hides.

Only one male Blue-capped Redstart worthy of note all week. Swallows still present in good numbers though.

A stunning male Roller on the perimiter fence at last light and three Crowned Sandgrouse within the wire. Things have really calmed down ornithologically speaking.

A selection of my bird photos has now been posted on Flikr. See the link below. More to follow - a disk is winging its way back to the UK to be uploaded as bandwidth prohibits this in the desert. Rather surprising really!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/armybirding/sets/72157630058039992/

Rich

This frankly has to be the single most mental totally utterly extreme absurd effort to get a one up over other birders.

I mean surely joining the Army to get a sandbox bird holiday is ..... Ahh who am I kidding? I just spent half hour reading and looking at pics and I'm well jealous lol. Ignore my bitterness ..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back