• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Africa - year list record (1 Viewer)

Not sure I would want to be anywhere near Tanzania - their ex-President said Covid is not in this country and no-one was allowed to express an opinion on the matter - prayer and steam seem to be the way to deal with it. I say ex-President because he died recently (probably of Covid). The new President is following in his footsteps.. I despair.

Are you sure they are in Africa as their blog seems to show them in Southern Mexico and Guatamala

Are you sure they are in Africa as their blog seems to show them in Southern Mexico and Guatamala
To be honest, I have no inside track on where they are. However based upon their eBird posting they left Mexico on March 24. Ross got to South Africa by Mar 31 and met up with Melissa in Tanzania by Apr 11.
Their blog posts are often delayed a while.

For any of you interested, it is clear that transcontinental travel is possible in Africa, even if cross border you need Covid tests etc. Ross & Melissa have travelled around Tanzania and are now in Kenya. Their current African year list is approaching 600 species and their 'virtual year' is now over 1100 species. They spent most of their time in Tanzania picking up distinct subspecies and future proofing. It remains to be seen how far they get.

Ross also passed the milestone of 7000 species (Clements - so will be much higher on IOC) is aim was to be the youngest person to this milestone, but I have no idea how that can be assessed.

I know Melissa is a nurse so a big demand job these days, you can follow their blog on the Budget Birders site,
Back to The Uluguru’s this was the most recent posting. Ross is ex-US marine so must have some sort of service pension, they are the hardest of the hardcore and their posts are well worth following.
Vicarious birding is it for me at the moment as our borders in Australia remain shut, and probably for the rest of the year as they have stuffed up the vaccine rollout, the government has no concern for international tourism as long as mining and farming are doing OK.

I know Melissa is a nurse so a big demand job these days, you can follow their blog on the Budget Birders site,
Back to The Uluguru’s this was the most recent posting. Ross is ex-US marine so must have some sort of service pension, they are the hardest of the hardcore and their posts are well worth following.
Vicarious birding is it for me at the moment as our borders in Australia remain shut, and probably for the rest of the year as they have stuffed up the vaccine rollout, the government has no concern for international tourism as long as mining and farming are doing OK.
Not for four years service which is what he did.

The Linkedin bio I just found, has Ross as a 'Senior associate' at PricewaterhouseCoopers?

And yes, of course we're all envious that they're in Africa!

Not for four years service which is what he did.

The Linkedin bio I just found, has Ross as a 'Senior associate' at PricewaterhouseCoopers?

And yes, of course we're all envious that they're in Africa!
Going to Africa is not an issue... returning afterwards to blighty is v tricky.

Going to Africa is not an issue... returning afterwards to blighty is v tricky.

The whole situation is so fluid and unpredictable that I'm certain, màny people just won't bother booking anything. The status of your destination may alter while you're away and then you'll be faced with ten days in pokey and a massive bill.

The other aspect as some predicated is cost which travel industry boss's, have already warned, will spike. I think it despicable that they can gouge holiday makers like this, bars don't double the price of a beer or food so why should the travel industry be allowed to do it?

Should be noted that the issues highlighted in the previous two posts are very specific to those residing in the UK and a small number of other countries. Regulations for returning to many other countries are clearer and certainly less expensive.

Should be noted that the issues highlighted in the previous two posts are very specific to those residing in the UK and a small number of other countries. Regulations for returning to many other countries are clearer and certainly less expensive.
I'm not sure why 'it should be noted' by anyone outside the UK? And only the returning part applies uniquely to the UK, price rises will hit everyone with airfares and accomodation being set to sky rocket according to some industry insiders.

UK residents getting screwed at home too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why 'it should be noted' by anyone outside the UK? And only the returning part applies uniquely to the UK, price rises will hit everyone with airfares and accomodation being set to sky rocket according to some industry insiders.
Well, from here at least, for travel both domestically and internationally, prices are still very low, even for travel much later in the year.

I thought I would post a quick update when a milestone was reached, but now I am not sure what is happening. Ross & Melissa had been clearing up in Kenya after a month in Tanzania. They headed to Uganda ( I think the intent was to go to Ethiopia but after a list from South Sudan! they stuck to Uganda. With this week's new lockdown in Uganda, perhaps they have been caught again.

I thought I would post a quick update when a milestone was reached, but now I am not sure what is happening. Ross & Melissa had been clearing up in Kenya after a month in Tanzania. They headed to Uganda ( I think the intent was to go to Ethiopia but after a list from South Sudan! they stuck to Uganda. With this week's new lockdown in Uganda, perhaps they have been caught again.
The latest reports are a mix of good news - picking up most of the Albertine Rift endemics in Western Uganda, and bad - couldn't get to Ethiopia. The chase for the African year list appears to be off the agenda, and with daily changes in lock downs across the region it is difficult to second guess what they can do now.

They have gone past 1000 species since April and well over 1300 in total on the 'virtual year list' .

I know the original plan was to head south through Rwanda and Burundi - but currently they appear to be heading close to Kampala - don't know of their plans or the state of the border crossings.

It is clear that the plans are continuing to impacted by ongoing Covid restrictions but it is still going on. They appear to have bypassed Rwanda and Burundi and have continued to picked up ultra-rarely seen species in Tanzania. One of the recent posts makes compelling reading A New Species of Sunbird?!?!?!? . Covering the discovery of a seemingly new species of sunbird this brings a new perspective to that feeling of finding a rarity - confusion, disbelief and panic in equal measure (I can only claim to finding country firsts so there is a limit to me being able to empathise)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back