• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Bird Books Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Photgog

Rufous-Female
I'm about to buy some books on African Birds, and I see that there are many.
Is there a general consensus of the best books on African Birds???
I'm prepared to purchase East, West, South, and North if that is the best way to do it.

I'm interested in your recommendations.

Fraser

For southern Africa I recommend Birds of Southern Africa by Sinclair, Hockey & Tarboton. It is also available as an app as Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa.

I can give two that are very good.

1. Roberts bird guide - Hugh Chittenden
2.Birds of AFRICA south of the Sahara - Ian Sinclair & Peter Ryan

Africa - Birds of Africa south of the Sahara by Sinclair / Ryan published by Struik

East Africa - Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Stevenson / Fanshawe published by Poysner

East Africa - Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania by Zimmerman/Turner/Pearson published by Helm/Princeton

West Africa - Birds of West Africa by Barrow / Demey published by Helm/Princeton (there is a handbook and a fieldguide version)

South Africa - Birds of South Africa by Sinclair published Sasol
Birds of the Horn of Africa by Redman

The above guides are of the highest standard and the best for the respective areas.

Additionally there are smaller regional or country guides such as the Guide to the Birds of The Gambia by Barlow/Wacher

regards

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back