• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross from SW Australia (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, saw this very distant albatross from the shore at Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse and attempted to snap some pictures, was wondering if anyone would be willing to hazard a guess at it (although I know the photos are terrible). Bird seems to have dark axillaries/armpits which seems to match Campbell Albatross but not too sure about its actual range. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_8057.jpg
    DSC_8057.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_8058.jpg
    DSC_8058.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_8060-2.jpg
    DSC_8060-2.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 144
Either Black-browed (older immature) or Campbell Albatross.

The underwing is suitable for Campbell but also for immature Black-browed and there isn't enough detail in those photos to assess other features - I'm getting an impression of a weak grey collar in the images but could be imagining it. Black-browed are the commoner of the two in SW WA waters and so far the only one of the two I've identified from land here, though Campbell are fairly regular off the south coast and we have seen them in inshore waters on pelagic trips.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back