• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross ID please help. (1 Viewer)

Chas 100

I took these pictures in 1971 from the deck of the Royal Yacht Britannia at sea in the Southern Oceans. I recently rediscovered them in an album and would really like to ID if possible. The location as far as I know was on passage to Australia/New Zealand but could have been days away from there but that is my best guess. I am assuming the dark bird is a petrel? I really appreciate any help. Considering the equipment used in those days I am astonished at the reasonable quality. Incidentally, we rarely had Albatross follow us and in 10 years of sea time on Britannia in the 70's this was the only Albatross I personally saw.

Attachments

• IMG_2609-SAI-sized.jpg
    IMG_2609-SAI-sized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • sized.jpg
    sized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
The tip of the bill looks Southern Giant Petrel for me. Sometimes they tend to get darker, but not as dark as Northern.
Agree that Pic 1 is Wandering Albatross.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back