• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Albatross off southern Australia (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
A few years ago we did a "Round Australia" cruise. I never did ID all the seabirds. This albatross photo was taken while sailing between Adelaide and Melbourne in November of 2009.

TIA for the help.

Helen

Attachments

• albatross AUS.JPG
    albatross AUS.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 199

MTem

Sub-adult Black-browed would be my view. Black tip to pale-yellow bill, fully white head (but no sign of a collar ... hmmm). Underwing shot would help.

HelenB

Opus Editor
Sorry no decent underwing shot. Here are 3 more photos - 1st one is the same bird, the second 2 are of another bird taken about 3 minutes later. Could the second be an adult Black-browed or perhaps a Shy Albatross? We were on a "Round Australia" cruise, so taking photos from quite a height above the ocean.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_7420cpd.JPG
    IMG_7420cpd.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_7444cpd.JPG
    IMG_7444cpd.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7426cpd.JPG
    IMG_7426cpd.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

MTem

Still good for sub adult BBA for 1

The other bird looks like an adult NZ white-capped. It's a ssp of Shy albatross, steadi
Underwing is good for Shy.

Mick

HelenB

Opus Editor
Thanks Mick and Henry! I shall be posting a few more in the next few weeks - trying to get my life list up to date!!

RobHynson

First bird looks fine for an immature Black-browed Albatross and the second a Shy Albatross.

The second bird looks like a better fit for a Tasmanian Shy (cauta) as there is quite a lot of yellow at the base of the bill.

Cheers,

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread